11 Colombian insurgents surrenderApril 24th, 2008 - 7:02 pm ICT by admin
Bogota, April 24 (IANS) Eleven insurgents of Colombia’s two largest leftist rebel groups have surrendered to the government troops in different parts of the country, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Thursday. Those who laid down arms include 10 rebels from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) and one from the National Liberation Army (ELN), taking the number of insurgents who surrendered this year to 786, an official said.
According to the report the rebels surrendered in the western and southwestern provinces of Choco, Huila, Cauca, Bogota, Frontino, San Francisco and Putumayo.
More than 15,000 rebels have surrendered in the past six years, according to a government estimate.
The government has announced a rehabilitation package for those insurgents who give themselves up to the authorities, including financial, medical, educational and security assistance.
The FARC is Colombia’s largest leftist insurgency group and was founded in 1964. The group has an estimated 8,000 to 17,000 fighters and is led by Manuel Marulanda. The ELN the second largest has a cadre strength 5,000.
President Alvaro Uribe’s administration has made fighting insurgency a top priority and has obtained billions of dollars from the US for counterinsurgency operations.
- 12 rebels die in Colombian air strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiers - Jul 12, 2011
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombian troops kill rebel blamed for 84 deaths - Apr 18, 2012
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Four dead in Colombia bus attack - Jun 21, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian military kills about 60 alleged rebels - Sep 21, 2010
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- 39 killed in Colombia clashes - Nov 11, 2009
- 18 ELN guerrillas surrender in Colombia - Dec 08, 2008
- Colombian rebel groups join forces to fight against government - Dec 17, 2009
- FARC guerrilla wanted by US captured in Colombia - Nov 02, 2009
Tags: counterinsurgency operations, country spain, efe news agency, eln, farc, frontino, government estimate, government troops, huila, insurgency, insurgents, manuel marulanda, national liberation army, president alvaro uribe, rebel groups, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, revolutionary armed forces of colombia farc, security assistance, southwestern provinces, top priority