10yr-old girl breaks two fishing recordsMay 9th, 2009 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 9 (ANI): A 10-year-old girl has broken two fishing records after she reeled in a monster catfish that weighed almost as much as she did.
Natalie Carter, who weighs five-stones, spent 45 gruelling minutes under the baking Thailand sun fighting a giant three-and-a-half stone Redtail catfish before getting it to the bank.
The fish, nearly as long as Natalie, gave her the world record in the Under-10 “small fry” category, and would have been an Under 16 record if she were eligible.
She topped off her day’s angling by catching a Giant Snakehead fish weighing 3.31kg, earning herself another Under-10 World Record.
“They are fierce fighters and although adults offered to help her when she was exhausted, she refused to hand her rod over,” the Sun quoted her proud dad David, 41, of Oxford, Oxon, as saying.
“If another angler had helped her fight the fish then the record would have been null and void.
“The temperature was 93F and her rod was bent double but she refused to give up and it took her 45 minutes to tire the fish and get it to the bank to be netted.
“There were anglers from Europe and America there who were clearly a bit jealous of her but I was very proud that she never gave up fighting it.
“Others might have thrown down the rod and given up but she battled on,” he stated.
Carter was using live bait on the Ratchaburi Lake, which is two hours drive from Bangkok.
“It was great fun and dad was very jealous. It took me 45 minutes but I was determined to do it. I want to keep breaking big fish records!” she said.
Jean-Francois Helias, a professional guide, helped Carter in breaking the records.
“Catching a fish like this is an outstanding achievement for such a young person,” he said.
“She had to fight for almost an hour under the torrid heat of the Thai sun during the dry season to reel in the catfish - it’s a tremendous angling exploit.
“You would not believe how well she can fish at such a young age. She burst into tears and could not stop crying - it was very emotional for us to witness the whole thing,” he added. (ANI)
- Crazy sport 'noodling' sees anglers using their arms as bait to lure catfish - Jan 05, 2011
- Junior angler aged 9 lands record-breaking catch in Oz - Feb 22, 2011
- Angler eats huge sea bass that could have been a record breaker - Nov 08, 2011
- Propelled by shutdowns, Kashmiris 'fish' for pastime at Dal (Feature)(With Images) - Mar 07, 2012
- 11yr-old English schoolgirl becomes biggest freshwater fish-catching child in Europe - Jul 16, 2009
- World's biggest freshwater fish caught by a woman - Nov 19, 2010
- It's time for trout fishing in Himachal streams - May 29, 2011
- Brit man breaks world record for catching the biggest ever carp - Jan 11, 2010
- Fish festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu - Jun 06, 2010
- Shark steals fish from reel in Cherry Grove Inlet - Jul 12, 2012
- German pensioner catches world record halibut weighing over 34 stone - Nov 24, 2010
- British TV show host hooks croc-eating giant piranha - Oct 21, 2010
- Test your nerves against sport fish in Himachal - Mar 11, 2012
- Sarah Palin outrages US animal rights group by clubbing fish to death - Nov 24, 2010
- 'Marriage wrecker' Two Tone carp found dead in Britain - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: angler, angling, dad david, europe and america, fish records, five stones, giant snakehead fish, gruelling, jean francois, live bait, monster catfish, natalie carter, old girl, oxford oxon, professional guide, proud dad, Ratchaburi, torrid heat, world record, young person