100,000 UK women in danger of their breast implants rupturingApril 18th, 2011 - 12:08 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 18 (ANI): It has emerged that tens of thousands of British women who have undergone breast augmentation have no idea that they have had an implant made by Poly Implant Prothese (PIP).
There is a real danger posed by implants made by Poly Implant Prosthese (PIP) to rupture, causing a raft of symptoms from immune system problems to debilitating pain, fever, rashes and extreme fatigue.
Initially it was thought that 50,000 Britons may have been given PIP implants, but plastic surgeons now believe the figure could be 100,000, reports the Daily Mail.
All modern breast implants are made up of multiple layers of silicone shell filled with a silicone gel. The body normally reacts to a foreign object placed under the skin by building up a capsule of scar tissue around it, sealing it off from the rest of the body.
This can cause the implant to become hard or misshapen.
It is suggested that those women who have undergone a breast enlargement in the past 20 years should contact their surgeon to check they are not faulty.
If a PIP implant was used, they should consider undergoing an ultrasound scan to detect if there has been any leakage.
The implant has already been banned in France after it was discovered that the silicone gel used in them is of a different composition to the gel that was approved in 2001.
Testing is now taking place to determine whether the gel is safe or not. (ANI)
- France advises breast implant removal over cancer risk - Dec 24, 2011
- Australian breast implant rupture cases on rise - Apr 05, 2012
- Women with breast implants alerted to cancer risk - Dec 03, 2011
- Breast implants recalled over rupturing fear - Apr 04, 2010
- Cancer cases found in women with French brand implants - Dec 31, 2011
- 1,500 Venezuelan women sue breast implant firm - Jan 11, 2012
- Breast implants may need to be rechecked - Jun 19, 2010
- Brit women given boob job blast warning - Jun 19, 2010
- Dutch women advised to remove breast implants - Jan 12, 2012
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- Dodgy breast implants not likely to explode, say experts - Sep 04, 2010
- Your breast implants could explode: experts - Apr 04, 2010
- Alert for women who had breast implants - Dec 21, 2011
- Do women with silicone breast implants require follow-Up MRI scans? - Mar 29, 2011
- Unauthorised Breast Implants Pulled Off - Apr 01, 2010
Tags: breast augmentation, breast enlargement, breast implants, british women, britons, composition, daily mail, extreme fatigue, fever, immune system problems, pip implants, raft, rashes, scar tissue, shell, silicone gel, tens of thousands, those women, uk women, ultrasound scan