100,000 people uprooted by fighting in Georgia: UNAugust 13th, 2008 - 4:50 am ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 13 (DPA) The UN refugee agency Tuesday said nearly 100,000 people have been displaced by the fighting in Georgia, including 30,000 who have fled South Ossetia for Russia since war broke out last week. The UN High Commissioner for Refugees said the figure was provided by warring parties, Russia and Georgia. The agency also said its first aid flight, a Boeing 707 cargo plane, arrived in Georgia Tuesday carrying 34 tonnes of tents, jerry cans, blankets and kitchen sets.
The $2 million humanitarian airlift was approved by UNHCR Monday, with the first plane carrying an emergency stockpile from Dubai. A second flight from Copenhagen will reach Georgia Wednesday. The agency said the supplies would meet the needs of only 30,000 displaced people.
“The two flights will provide more than 70 tonnes of aid supplies for up to 30,000 people and will augment other relief items already distributed by UNHCR from its warehouses in Georgia,” UNHCR spokesman Ron Redmond told reporters in Geneva.
UNHCR reported people were fleeing the fighting inside Georgia, including 56,000 from Gori, a major central Georgian city after Russia troops entered it Monday.
The World Food Programme said it had also begun distributing relief assistance to more than 2,000 displaced people in South Ossetia.
- 80,000 displaced in Myanmar unrest - Jul 28, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Over 100,000 flee fighting in northwestern Pakistan: UNHCR - Mar 31, 2012
- 100,000 people displaced in Pakistan this year - Mar 31, 2012
- Italy to send emergency aid to Horn of Africa - Aug 19, 2011
- Sri Lankan refugees return from India - Oct 12, 2011
- At least 78 killed in western Myanmar clashes - UN - Jul 29, 2012
- 34,000 Syrian refugees reach Lebanon: UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Military operation in Pakistan may displace 600,000 people - Jun 08, 2012
- UN observes World Refugee Day - Jun 21, 2012
- 80,000 people flee Mali as clashes continue - Mar 02, 2012
- Jolie donates $100,000 to help refugees - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistan situation still critical: UN agencies - Oct 06, 2010
- 9,000 displaced in Somalia violence - May 27, 2012
- Over 30,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UN - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: blankets, boeing 707, cargo plane, copenhagen, dpa, first aid, georgian city, high commissioner, humanitarian airlift, jerry cans, refugee agency, relief assistance, ron redmond, south ossetia, stockpile, tonnes, un high commissioner for refugees, unhcr, warehouses, world food