1,000 girls sexually exploited in Peru mining campsSeptember 20th, 2011 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Lima, Sep 20 (IANS/EFE) More than 1,100 teenaged girls have been sexually exploited at illegal mining camps in the jungles of southeastern Peru, a daily newspaper said Monday, citing information from the Save the Children organization.
Illegal gold mining is at its height in the Madre de Dios region, and mining camps set up on various stretches of the Interoceanica Highway have attracted other activities as well, including the so-called “prostibars” where police found 20 teenaged girls in a recent sweep, El Comercio reported.
Bars promoting the prostitution of underage girls mostly brought from the Cuzco and Puno regions “operate as franchises, where the female owners and administrators are almost always related”, Madre de Dios Police Chief Miguel Fernando Navarrete said.
Girls are usually recruited near home by women who drop into their communities and tempt them with offers of work in stores or as domestics, but they end up forced to work as prostitutes in bars in the Inambari and Huepetuhe districts.
The director of Save the Children in Peru, Teresa Carpio, visited some of these mining camps last week and was surprised to find that the administrators, some of whom are wanted for kidnapping and human trafficking, consider it totally normal for underage girls to do this kind of work.
Only 32 cases of human trafficking have been brought before prosecutors in Mazuco, capital of the Inambari district, the nearest to the mining-camp area, and only three people have been sentenced for this crime in all Madre de Dios, the daily said.
- 91 cops ill after having chicken soup in Peru - Apr 23, 2012
- Chopper goes missing in Peru - Jun 08, 2012
- Peruvian parents renting children to pornographers: Report - Sep 21, 2009
- Three thieves burnt alive by Peru mob - Mar 21, 2011
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Juanes to perform in Peru, visit Machu Picchu - Jun 29, 2012
- Machu Picchu, the city that was never lost - Jun 27, 2011
- Mother sells her baby for $700 in Peru - Mar 26, 2010
- 17 killed in Peru bus accident - Nov 19, 2010
- 12 die in Peru bus collision - Aug 29, 2010
- Gerardo Ortiz releases new album - Sep 08, 2011
- Trapped Peruvian miners fine, awaiting rescue - Apr 10, 2012
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- Five die in Brazil when elevator crashes - Apr 22, 2012
- Argentine ex-spy accused of sex trafficking - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,