1,000 commemorate Indian sect leader slain in Vienna (Lead, correcting names in Para 1,2)May 30th, 2010 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, May 30 (DPA) Some 1,000 members of an Indian Sikh sect met Sunday in Vienna to commemorate the assassination of their deputy leader Sant Rama Nand during his visit to the Austrian capital a year ago, media reported.
The fatal shooting at the temple of the Dera Sach Khand sect, allegedly carried out by a radical Sikh, had triggered widespread violence in India’s northern State of Punjab, leaving three dead and dozens injured.
Six Indian-born Sikh men were charged earlier this month with various crimes ranging from murder to attempted assault. A Vienna prosecutor said they had premeditated the attack on the temple May 24, 2009, in which 16 people, including the group’s leader were injured.
At the memorial service, believers came not only from the small community living in Austria, but also from other European countries, from Canada and from the United States, Austrian press agency APA reported.
For security reasons, no high-ranking religious sect leader attended the event, which was closely guarded by an anti-terrorism police unit.
Vienna Dera Sach Khand spokeswoman Jasbir Jnagal said that the relationship between her group and mainstream Sikhs had cooled down in the past year. “There are no conflicts in Austria. We want everything to remain peaceful,” she was quoted as saying.
Mainstream Sikhs often consider sects such as Dera Sach Khand to deviate from their true religion and practices, even though they share some teachings.
Sant Rama Nand had toured several European counties with sect leader Niranjan Dass last spring, which a group of radical Sikhs living in Madrid allegedly took as an opportunity for their plot. Several of the six suspects had travelled from Spain to Austria shortly before the attack, according to the prosecutor.
- 1,000 commemorate Indian sect leader slain in Vienna - May 30, 2010
- Akal Takht asks SGPC to send team to probe Vienna shooting - Aug 12, 2009
- Body of sect leader killed in Vienna to be flown to India - May 25, 2009
- Man fires at police investigating Indian temple attack in Austria - Jun 16, 2009
- Varanasi's Ravidassia sect shocks Sikh community - Feb 04, 2010
- Man who led Vienna attack also in hospital - May 29, 2009
- Dalits in Canada call Vienna killing 'act of terrorism' - May 26, 2009
- Ashes of Sant Rama Nand Dass taken to Haridwar for immersion - Jun 07, 2009
- State funeral for sect leader as thousands attend in Punjab (Lead) - Jun 04, 2009
- Sikhs protest outside Austrian embassy in Delhi over Vienna killing - May 26, 2009
- Dal Khalsa urges apex Sikh body to probe Vienna shoot-out - Aug 11, 2009
- Curfew in Hoshiarpur - May 25, 2009
- In Vienna, followers pay last respects to Rama Nand - Jun 02, 2009
- Prakash Singh Badal asks people to be calm - May 27, 2009
- Vienna killing sullied our image, say Indians in Austria (Diaspora Watch) - May 29, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,