100-year-old woman killed in Italian quake (Lead)May 20th, 2012 - 7:29 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, May 20 (IANS) A 100-year-old woman was among five people who died Sunday after a magnitude-5.9 earthquake rocked northern Italy, destroying several historic sites. At least 50 others were injured.
The earthquake struck just after 4 a.m., BBC reported.
The epicentre was between the cities of Ferrara and Modena at a depth of 6.3 km. A series of aftershocks were felt in many northern cities including Milan, Turin and Venice, Italy’s National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology said.
Three night-shift workers, one of who was a young migrant, died when two factories collapsed near Ferrara city in central Emilia Romagna region.
A 100-year-old woman was killed in her bed while a 37-year-old woman died of a heart attack during the quake, while another worker of a local foundry whose roof had collapsed was missing, Xinhua reported citing Italian news agency ANSA.
The tremor caused “significant damage to the cultural heritage” of Emilia Romagna region, the government said. Parts of a castle in Finale Emilia collapsed.
State-run Rai television said thousands of people rushed out in panic to the streets in various places of the region, one of the most industrialized in the country.
The worst hit town was Sant’Agostino, whose municipality was demolished and historic buildings were damaged.
One five-year-old girl was rescued after getting trapped in debris, a police officer said.
Authorities instructed residents not to get close to historic buildings, while the elderly and seriously ill were rushed to hospitals as a precaution.
In 2009, an earthquake of magnitude 6.3 killed nearly 300 people in the central city of L’Aquila.
- Four killed in Italy quake - May 20, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to seven - May 21, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to 15 (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- 6,000 displaced in Italy quake - May 22, 2012
- 18th century tower crumbles in Italy - Jun 04, 2012
- Italian politician jumps to death - May 09, 2012
- Italy quake causes $250 mn loss to farmers - May 21, 2012
- Powerful earthquake strikes the Philippines, killing at least 7 - Feb 06, 2012
- Strong earthquake hits deep underneath northern Argentina - May 29, 2012
- 8,000 agro jobs at risk due to Italy quakes - Jun 06, 2012
- Ferrari to auction F1 items to help Italian quake victims - Jun 01, 2012
- Man held after Facebook posting on murder plan - Dec 02, 2010
- Italian drugs, arms racket busted, 20 held - Jun 16, 2012
- 31 injured in Philippines quake - Nov 08, 2011
- Indian jailed in Italy for killing son - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: aftershocks, ansa, aquila, collapsed state, cultural heritage, emilia romagna region, epicentre, finale emilia, geophysics, heart attack, historic buildings, italian news agency, night shift workers, northern cities, northern italy, old woman, sant agostino, venice italy, volcanology, xinhua