100 snakes, 70 tortoises found in German hotelDecember 12th, 2011 - 3:05 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Police found 100 snakes, 70 tortoises and 20 frogs in a hotel room in the western German city of Cologne, local media said Sunday.
The discovery was made Friday after a hotel employee saw a snake on a stairway and alerted the police, a police spokesman said.
Police checked the room occupied by three Chinese nationals and found the animals in their luggage.
The Chinese were arrested on suspicion of animal trafficking and later released on a bail of several thousand euros.
The creatures were taken to a zoo in Cologne where they have yet to be identified by species.
- Man with 250 rare animals caught in Argentina - Dec 27, 2011
- Israeli toddler bites off snake's head - Jan 27, 2012
- Man found with snakes & tortoise in his pants at Miami Airport - Aug 30, 2011
- New species of blind snake found in Brazil - Aug 02, 2012
- Ukrainians robbed of 3 mn euros in Moscow - Dec 05, 2011
- Man fined for killing pet frog - May 16, 2011
- Caged bear mauls girl in Russia - Aug 27, 2012
- Uzbek woman held with 2,000 tortoises - Apr 05, 2012
- Italy impounds fake US bonds worth $6 tn - Feb 17, 2012
- Fire breaks out at Moscow university - Dec 30, 2011
- Man arrested for trying to smuggle 50 snakes on a plane - Nov 17, 2011
- Israel frees Egyptian prisoners under swap deal - Oct 28, 2011
- Latvian Police search for escaped bear - Apr 23, 2012
- Chimpanzees learn to mop cage from keepers - Feb 10, 2012
- Child attacked by tiger in Russian zoo - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: chinese nationals, city of cologne, frogs, german city, hotel employee, hotel moscow, hotel room, local media, luggage, police spokesman, ria novosti, several thousand, snake, snakes, snb, suspicion, thousand euros, tortoises, trafficking, zoo