10-year-old Jewish girl allowed to embrace ChristianityAugust 3rd, 2012 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS) A 10-year-old Jewish girl in Britain has been permitted by a court to convert to Christianity after her mother’s claims that she had been “brainwashed” and was too young to change faith were rejected.
The girl’s divorced parents were at conflict over her desire to be baptised at the church her father, himself a convert, now attends, the Telegraph reported Friday.
The ruling was handed down by the Romford County Court in Essex.
The girl was born in 2001 to Jewish parents. But her mother and father divorced in 2010 and she and her younger brother now live for a week at a time with each parent under a shared parenting agreement.
Her father converted to Christianity after the breakdown of his marriage.
In November, the girl’s mother applied for a court order forbidding the father from baptising their daughter into the Christian faith.
The father claimed the family had never been strictly observant Jews, and neither of his children grew up with any strong religious beliefs.
He said his daughter told him on the way back from a Christian festival that she had “experienced an encounter with god”. He said he was initially sceptical.
The mother said her former husband prevented the girl from practising Judaism and said she wanted her daughter to wait until she turned 16 to become baptised.
He Jewish grandparents accused the girl’s father of forcing her to give up her Jewish heritage.
The judge concluded he had no power to order the girl’s baptism, but dismissed the application to stop it happening.
At the end of the case, the judge ruled that she was “mature enough” to choose her religion.
The judge, however, stressed that it did not mean the girl would lose her Jewish heritage.
- Court nod for girl choosing to stay with father - Nov 07, 2011
- Barrymore converting to Judaism? - Mar 08, 2012
- Drew Barrymore planning to convert to Judaism - Jan 27, 2012
- Delhi court asks police to protect blind man from ex-wife - Jun 27, 2012
- FBI finds girl 'kidnapped' by dad - Mar 16, 2012
- When court named girl of a separated couple - Jul 15, 2011
- Court slams panel over girl's adoption - May 22, 2012
- No access to quota benefits after conversion: Court - Mar 07, 2011
- `Using religion for vested interests a norm in Pakistan' - Feb 20, 2012
- Hillary Clinton's mother dies at 92 - Nov 02, 2011
- Obama's grandma 'prays for him to convert to Islam' during Mecca visit - Nov 26, 2010
- Kiwi father forced daughter to pray after sexually abusing her - Oct 31, 2010
- Vanessa Hudgens Not Converting To Judaism - Oct 22, 2010
- Let me dance and sing, says Adnan Sami after divorce - Jun 22, 2012
- Vishva Bharati case: Girl yet to recover from shock (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: baptism, christian faith, christianity, conflict, desire, encounter with god, essex, grandparents, jewish girl, jewish heritage, jewish parents, judaism, marriage, mother and father, observant jews, parenting agreement, religion, religious beliefs, romford, telegraph