10 security personnel kidnapped in PakistanMay 1st, 2009 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 1 (Xinhua) Ten security personnel were kidnapped Friday by militants in northwestern Pakistan, a media report said.
The security men were kidnapped in Upper Dir district of North West Frontier Province (NWFP), the Dawn TV channel reported citing unnamed officials.
No further details were immediately available.
Earlier, the security forces had killed at least 70 Taliban militants in Lower Dir district of NWFP.
Pakistani security forces killed more than 50 militants in the ongoing military operation in Buner district of NWFP, amid concerns over Taliban expansion.
Some 70 paramilitary troops and police have been taken hostage by the militants during the operation. However, 18 of them have been released, military spokesman Athar Abbas said.
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011
- Pakistan protests cross-border attack - Jun 25, 2012
- Pakistan protests Afghan attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Pak Army launches major military operation against Taliban militants - Apr 28, 2009
- Taliban using 2,000 villagers as human shields in Buner - May 03, 2009
- Pakistani troops kill 27 militants - May 18, 2009
- 25 Pakistani troopers killed in Taliban attack: Army - Aug 27, 2011
- Taliban using civilians as human shields: Pakistani Army (Roundup) - May 04, 2009
- Pakistani forces recapture key town from Taliban (Intro Roundup) - Apr 30, 2009
- 30 militants, nine soldiers killed in Pakistan - May 10, 2010
- Pakistani forces regain control of Upper Dir areas - Jun 05, 2011
- `Taliban planned to take over Buner after faking withdrawal' - Apr 29, 2009
- Pakistan launches offensive against Taliban in Buner (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2009
- Pak Army offensive in Lower Dir displaces 30,000 - Apr 28, 2009
Tags: abbas, dawn, frontier province, hostage, may 1, militants, military operation, military spokesman, north west frontier, northwestern pakistan, pakistan islamabad, paramilitary troops, security forces, security men, security personnel, taliban, tv channel, xinhua