10 people killed in Spain earthquakeMay 12th, 2011 - 4:14 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 12 (IANS/RIA Novosti) An earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale hit southeast Spain Wednesday evening, killing at least 10 people, regional media reported.
The epicentre of the quake was in the Tercia mountain range near the town of Lorca, with a population of some 90,000.
Several buildings were destroyed, included a medieval church bell tower.
“Unfortunately people have died as a result of cave-ins and falling debris. We’re trying to find out if people have been trapped inside the collapsed houses,” Lorca mayor Francisco Jodar said.
- Quake felt 70 km from Iranian nuclear plant - Feb 05, 2012
- Italy quake toll rises to 15 (Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Quake strikes near New Zealand's Christchurch city - Jan 01, 2012
- 90 killed in Iran quake - Aug 12, 2012
- 250 killed, 1,800 injured in Iran quakes - Aug 12, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Three months after Japan quake, over 90,000 still in shelters - Jun 11, 2011
- More quakes forecast in Japan - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan n-plant in emergency shutdown - Mar 11, 2011
- TEPCO to cleanup radioactive debris from n-plant by July - Apr 25, 2011
- 24 injured in China quake (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Tsunami to hit US west coast, Alaska - Mar 11, 2011
- Japan quake toll rises to 61 - Mar 11, 2011
- Vampires discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 07, 2012
- Russian rescuers to search 100 sq km area near Japan's Sendai - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: church bell tower, collapsed houses, earthquake, epicentre, falling debris, ins, jodar, lorca, medieval church, moscow, population, quake, regional media, ria novosti, richter scale, southeast spain, wednesday evening