10 militants killed in AfghanistanMarch 23rd, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, March 23 (Xinhua) Ten militants, including senior rebel commander Maulawi Hassan, were killed in Afghanistan by the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), said a statement issued here Monday.
“Maulawi Hassan was killed, along with nine of his associates, during an operation that targeted his compound near Kajaki, northern Helmand March 21,” the ISAF statement said.
It added that Maulawi Hassan was a senior insurgent figure in northern Helmand, and his influence extended into western Uruzgan.
“Maulawi Hassan answered to senior Taliban Mullah Rahmatullah who directs insurgent activity from outside Afghanistan. Mullah Rahmatullah replaced Abdhul Wali Akhund, who was killed by ISAF troops in the summer of 2008,” it said.
Conflicts and Taliban-linked insurgency had left over 5,000 people dead in 2008 while the violence is predicted to go up in 2009 as the US government has announced reinforcement of troops for curbing the militancy.
- NATO soldier killed in Afghan blast - Sep 09, 2012
- NATO soldier dies in Afghanistan - Apr 29, 2012
- NATO claims top Taliban leader killed in Helmand - Mar 24, 2009
- 30 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jun 02, 2012
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 200 NATO soldiers killed in Afghanistan in 2011 - May 27, 2011
- Seven Taliban killed, 18 held in Afghanistan - Feb 12, 2012
- Four NATO soldiers die in southern Afghanistan - May 12, 2012
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Seven militants killed in Afghanstan - Mar 18, 2012
- 31 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 01, 2010
- 20 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 24, 2012
- 20 Afghan militants killed - May 28, 2012
- Afghanistan: Suicide bomber kills NATO troops, children near market - May 21, 2012
Tags: afghanistan kabul, akhund, conflicts, hassan, helmand, insurgency, international security assistance, isaf, kajaki, march 21, militancy, militants, rahmatullah, rebel commander, reinforcement, taliban, taliban mullah, uruzgan, us government, xinhua