10 militants killed in Afghanistan fightingNovember 15th, 2008 - 3:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, Nov 15 (DPA) The US-led coalition said Saturday that its forces killed 10 militants, including foreign fighters, during an operation against an Al Qaeda-linked militant network in east-central Afghanistan.The militants of the Haqqani network who were targeted Thursday in the Zadran district of Paktia province planted roadside bombs and coordinated suicide bombings and other attacks on coalition and Afghan forces in the area, the coalition said.
The Haqqani network is headed by its founder Jalaluddin Haqqani, a veteran mujahedin leader who fought against Soviet troops in the 1980s and an associate of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, and his son Sarajuddin Haqqani.
Their group is also associated with the Taliban, Afghanistan’s Islamic fundamentalist former rulers who were ousted in a 2001 US-led invasion.
The Haqqani network is primarily active in eastern Afghanistan along its border with Pakistan and reportedly has good relations with Arab members of Al Qaeda.
- Coalition forces kill 20 Taliban in Afghanistan - Aug 12, 2010
- US accuses Pakistan of supporting Haqqani network - Sep 23, 2011
- US general meets Kayani, discusses Haqqani network - Sep 24, 2011
- Gilani discusses Pakistan-US ties with politicians - Sep 25, 2011
- Leader of Haqqani network killed in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2011
- Karzai advisor's family members killed - Aug 21, 2012
- NATO-led air strike kills senior Haqqani leader in eastern Afghanistan - Oct 06, 2011
- Pak needs to do much more against Haqqani network for Afghan peace: Mullen - Jul 25, 2010
- Eight killed in US drone attack in Pakistan - Sep 24, 2011
- US drone attack counter-productive: Pakistani PM - Dec 26, 2010
- US still views silent Haqqani network as most dangerous of Taliban fighters - Dec 27, 2010
- Shia militias helping Haqqani network evade US drone attacks, cross Pak-Afghan border - Nov 28, 2010
- Gilani calls back Khar from US (Lead) - Sep 25, 2011
- Gilani musters political support as US ties deteriorate - Sep 26, 2011
- US wants Pak military action against Haqqani network in North Waziristan - Jul 12, 2010