10 killed in giant tornado in US (Second Lead)April 25th, 2010 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 25 (DPA) At least ten people were killed Saturday when a huge tornado swept through the southern US states of Louisiana and Mississippi with 240-km-an-hour winds, officials said.
The lethal twister, with its funnel measuring up to 1.2 km wide, first touched down in Louisiana, stormed across Yazoo City, Mississippi, on the Mississippi River Delta, and pushed eastward across Mississippi.
The tornado was worse than most had ever seen in Mississippi, said the state’s governor, Haley Barbour.
“It stayed on the ground for 150 miles (240 km),” Barbour told CNN. “It never got up off the ground for any appreciable amount of time.”
The storm system that delivered the twister spawned at least another 40 tornadoes across a broad swath of the US south and mid-west, including Missouri, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky and Indiana.
On Sunday, the system was expected to carry heavy thunderstorms, hail and a few tornadoes east toward Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, AccuWeather said.
The National Weather service warned of a “particularly dangerous situation”.
Dozens of people were injured.
“Churches have been obliterated. Trees and power lines are down, and rescue crews can’t get in,” Barbour said in broadcast comments.
Greg Flynn of Mississippi Emergency Management services told USA Today that the death included two children.
- Seven killed in US tornado (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Deadliest tornado in US history claims 44 lives - Apr 18, 2011
- Yazoo County Tornado Kills 12, Others Thankful For Protection - Apr 26, 2010
- Monster tornado kills 10, causes widespread damage in Mississippi and Louisiana - Apr 25, 2010
- Mississippi Tornado Ravages More Than 13 Counties - Apr 25, 2010
- Large tornado causes widespread damage in western Mississippi - Apr 25, 2010
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Tornadoes sweep through south US, 17 dead - Apr 16, 2011
- Snowstorm storms upper Midwest - Feb 25, 2012
- Offices, schools close as Eastern US braces for blizzard - Feb 06, 2010
- Search for victims after deadly tornadoes in US - Mar 05, 2012
- Heavy storm moving toward US East Coast leaves 17 dead - Apr 17, 2011
- Storms kill at least 47 across US - Apr 18, 2011
- Storms leave nearly 300 as dead in southern US (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- US tornado toll reaches 38 - Mar 04, 2012
Tags: accuweather, arkansas kentucky, broadcast comments, cnn, dangerous situation, emergency management services, georgia arkansas, governor haley barbour, greg flynn, haley barbour, mississippi emergency management, mississippi river, mississippi river delta, national weather service, rescue crews, southern us states, storm system, usa today, virginia north, yazoo city mississippi