10 farmers asphyxiated in MexicoMarch 23rd, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, March 23 (EFE) Ten farmers were asphyxiated by gas fumes leaking into an agricultural wastewater pumping system they were trying to clean in the Mexican state of Hidalgo, emergency services officials said.
Six men were initially found dead at the scene and three others injured in Saturday’s incident were transported by air to various hospitals in the area, said Hidalgo emergency management office chief Miguel Garcia Conde.
However, later Sunday, Garcia Conde announced that four other peasants had died and there was “just a single survivor”.
“We have 10 people dead, eight at the scene and two in the hospital, and one in serious condition (in the hospital). One further probable victim is being sought” by emergency crews, Garcia Conde said.
The survivor was the man “who had the most rapid access to the (open) air”, after the group fell victim to the toxic gases that had accumulated in the piping system, the official said.
Initial reports said four of the farmers who were cleaning the pumping system entered it “without adequate respiratory protection equipment”, a mistake that apparently set in motion the tragic events, Garcia Conde said.
When the four men saw the predicament they were in, they called for help and several companions came into the piping system after them, but they also began suffering from the toxic fumes released by decomposing organic matter that had accumulated there, and “they went from being rescuers to (being) victims”, the official said.
- Diver keeps Mexico City's sewage flowing - Aug 24, 2012
- Kolkata hospital blaze kills 90, India mourns - Dec 10, 2011
- Toxic fumes kill six in China tunnel - Dec 10, 2011
- Eight asphyxiated to death in Haryana - Jan 10, 2011
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Toll in Jalandhar factory accident rises to 23 - Apr 22, 2012
- Three company officials booked for Thane gas leak - Sep 21, 2011
- Around 130 crash victims identified, 20 may need DNA tests (Second Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Three killed after falling down manhole - Nov 19, 2011
- UK pilots donning oxygen masks to counter poisonous fumes in aircraft - Mar 28, 2011
- Four killed in gas leak near Mumbai - Sep 21, 2011
- Compensation paid to AMRI victims' kin - Jan 03, 2012
- Two die as chopper crashes on Mexican street - Oct 22, 2011
- Canada launches hunt for man who mailed body parts - May 31, 2012
- Crude Discontinues Rally In 2011 As The Refiners Deal With The Alaska Pipeline's Shutdown - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: agricultural wastewater, emergency crews, emergency management office, emergency services officials, four men, gas fumes, initial reports, mexico city, mexico mexico, office chief, organic matter, piping system, pumping system, rapid access, rescuers, respiratory protection equipment, six men, toxic fumes, toxic gases, tragic events