10 die in Indonesian boat sinkingAugust 9th, 2010 - 6:27 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Aug 9 (DPA) At least 10 people were killed and 32 others were missing and feared drowned after a boat sank Monday off a remote eastern Indonesian province, a rescue official and media reports said.
The boat was believed have carried around 80 people when it was hit by high waves near Adonara island off East Nusa Tenggara province, said Madjit Abdul Laduma from the province’s search and rescue agency.
“We have reports from the field that at least 32 people were still missing from the accident,” Laduma said, adding rescue workers retrieved 10 bodies and 47 survivors.
The boat was en route to Lembata island from Adonara.
Media reports quoted a local police officer as saying that the boat was carrying about 75 people, and eight injured survivors had been rescued.
Adonara police chief Abdul Rahman was quoted as saying that the boat swerved after being hit by huge waves, sparking panic among the passengers before it capsized.
- 12 missing in Indonesia boat accident (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- 30 missing in Indonesia boat accident - Oct 22, 2010
- 45 missing as Philippines boat capsizes - Feb 14, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Hundreds missing as migrants' boat sinks off Indonesia - Dec 18, 2011
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- 88 bodies retrieved after Indonesia boat disaster - Dec 22, 2011
- Death toll in Indonesian ferry accident rises to 27 - Nov 23, 2009
- 43 hurt as quake shakes Bali - Oct 13, 2011
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Indonesian jailed for preaching jehad - Mar 29, 2012
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- 10 dead as Dominican boat capsizes - Feb 05, 2012
- 16 die as Iranian boat sinks - Jan 22, 2012
- Boat carrying escaping refugees sinks off Indonesia, 3 dead - Jan 15, 2009