1 in 7 Americans can”t readJanuary 11th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Jan 11 (ANI): About 14 percent of U.S. adults can”t read because theyre illiterate, according to a new study.
Some 32 million U.S. adults lack basic prose literacy skill, which means that they can”t read a newspaper or the instruction on a bottle of pills.
The figures are for 2003, the latest year available.
“The crisis of adult literacy is getting worse, and investment in education and support programs is critical,” Live Science quoted said David C. Harvey, president and CEO of ProLiteracy, in response to the finding, as saying.
Harvey said that education is critical to jobs and the economy.
“More than 1 million people lost their jobs in 2008 and the new unemployment figures are the highest in 16 years,” Harvey said.
“A large number of the unemployed are low-skilled individuals who struggle with everyday reading, writing and math tasks. The administration wants to create new jobs with the stimulus packages, but to take advantage of those new positions, these adults need basic literacy skills,” Harvey added.
The statistics were released by the U.S. Education Department this week. (ANI)
- Frankfurt Book Fair launches training campaigns in India - Aug 27, 2011
- Every fifth British adult is illiterate: Report - Mar 29, 2012
- 1 in 5 Brit teens leaves school 'illiterate and innumerate' - May 08, 2010
- Literacy enhances dignity and peace: Ban Ki-moon - Sep 09, 2011
- Adult education programme can benefit from literacy drive - Nov 29, 2010
- Poor literacy major problem for Indian youths, says report - Apr 19, 2012
- Maths dunces: British primary schools to ban calculator use - Dec 03, 2011
- China to reduce number of illiterates by 10 mn - May 26, 2011
- Top ten tips on how not to get sacked - Jan 11, 2011
- 'Africa needs India for education' - Jul 29, 2012
- White House adviser says U.S. unemployment rate is stable - Feb 17, 2010
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.1 percent, lowest in 3 years - May 05, 2012
- British kids will get failed teachers - Dec 17, 2011
- Total literacy for women in five years, promises PM (Lead) - Sep 08, 2009
- Pakistan faces "education emergency" with 10 per cent of world's out-of-school children - Mar 09, 2011
Tags: 1 million, adult literacy, adults, bottle of pills, ceo, david c, economy, education department, literacy skill, literacy skills, live science, math tasks, new jobs, proliteracy, prose, s education, skilled individuals, statistics, stimulus, unemployment figures