1 in 10 Brits over 50 indulge in risky sexFebruary 1st, 2008 - 4:52 pm ICT by admin
London, Jan 31 (ANI): It looks like the 50-year-olds are having most of the fun while putting their sexual health at risk, for a study has found that one in 10 sexually active Brits over the age of 50 do not use a form of contraception.
The hazards of not using any protection can put them at risk of catching sexually transmitted infections. The study also found that the 50-year-olds had no knowledge about their partner’s sexual history.
Just over one in five of those surveyed, 21 per cent, were divorced, single or widowed with the remaining 79 per cent married or co-habiting.
Figures from the Health Protection Agency have shown rising rates of infections among the over-45s as a result of risky sexual behaviour among those not in stable relationships.
Rates of chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis, herpes and warts have all risen between 2002 and 2006.
The survey, conducted by Saga/Populus, reviewed 7,817 people aged 50 and over.
65 per cent of those questioned reported that they were sexually active, with 46 per cent of these saying they “got between the sheets at least once a week”.
“These findings shatter the myth that once you hit 50 your sex life is over. There is less pressure than when people were younger and it is likely that you feel more comfortable about your body,” the Telegraph quoted Emma Soames, the editor of Saga Magazine, as saying.
“Forget about the dirty thirties or the naughty forties. The frisky fifties are having the most fun. However, while a healthy sex life is a good thing, the over-fifties must be wise to their sexual health, as well as their overall health,” she added.
Rebecca Findlay for the FPA, formerly the Family Planning Association, said: “The world has changed, sexual health is a massive subject and people who find themselves dating again after a long-term relationship need to think more like younger people.
“They need to get themselves checked out, ask their partner about their sexual health and use protection.” (ANI)
Tags: 45s, chlamydia, co habiting, dirty thirties, family planning association, fpa, gonorrhoea, health protection agency, london jan, long term relationship, naughty forties, populus, risky sex, risky sexual behaviour, saga magazine, sex london, sexual health, sexual history, stable relationships, study also found that