Zuma taunts West, says Africa is treated with respect in BRICSMarch 29th, 2012 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 29 (IANS) Amid BRICS’s growing engagement with the 54-nation continent, South African President Jacob Zuma Thursday said Africa was “treated with respect” and not patronised in this five-nation grouping of emerging economies.
Zuma also underlined that South Africa was proud to join the BRICS and claimed that it represented the entire continent.
“In BRICS, we have a place where we feel that Africa is being treated with respect. Our views are treated equally among the partners. There is no feeling that some people are looking down on the continent of Africa,” said Zuma in a slightly emotive tone.
Zuma’s comments are seen as a jibe at the West’s alleged patronising attitude towards African countries and an indication that BRICS’ engagement with Africa is poised for an acceleration.
Over the last decade, China, India and Brazil have scaled up their trade and investment with African countries dramatically, triggering anxiety in the West that still continues to be the continent’s largest trading partner.
The BRICS countries stepped up their trade with the continent from barely $3.5 billion in 2000 to over $200 billion in 2011.
South Africa, the smallest economy in the grouping which is often seen as an odd member in an even grouping, joined the BRIC in 2010, changing its nomenclature to BRICS.
- BRICS to sign pacts for trade in local currencies - Mar 26, 2012
- Zuma arrives in China for BRICS meet - Apr 13, 2011
- Africa and BRICS: A rising engagement - Jun 26, 2011
- South Africa pitches for greater Indian investment - Apr 08, 2012
- 'South Africa to back renminbi as international currency in BRICS Summit' - Mar 26, 2012
- BRICS can transform global governance: India - Mar 05, 2012
- Indian bank opens branch in South Africa - Sep 13, 2012
- BRICS to ink currency pacts, to push joint bank - Mar 28, 2012
- `BRICS investment in South Africa mining sector to grow' - Jul 14, 2012
- BRICS to sign unique pact at Sanya to use own currencies for lending and grants - Apr 13, 2011
- India gears up to host BRICS summit in March - Dec 23, 2011
- Manmohan off to China, Kazakhstan - Apr 11, 2011
- Manmohan off to China, Kazakhstan to meet world leaders (Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Patil to visit South Africa, Seychelles - Apr 27, 2012
- BRICS will offer huge opportunities for South Africa: Zuma - Apr 12, 2011
Tags: acceleration, african countries, anxiety, attitude, brazil, bric, brics, continent of africa, economy, emerging economies, India, jacob zuma, jibe, last decade, New Delhi, nomenclature, south africa, south african president, taunts, zuma