Zenit kick off title defence with Amkar winJuly 22nd, 2012 - 9:02 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A brace from Alexander Kerzhakov helped reigning Russian football champions Zenit St. Petersburg open their title defence with a 2-0 defeat of Amkar Perm Sunday.
Kerzhakov, criticized for poor performances at Euro 2012 with the Russian national team, hit a goal in each half to put his troubles behind him and register the club’s 21st-consecutive opening win.
He stroked confidently into the corner on 37 minutes after Roman Shirokov’s through ball, and doubled the lead on the hour mark from the penalty spot after Sergei Semak was fouled by Amkar’s Konstantin Vasilyev.
“We were up against really strong opponents,” Zenit coach Luciano Spalletti said.
“Before Kerzhakov scored, Amkar felt very comfortable and made life difficult for us.”
It was a seventh time in the last nine encounters that Amkar have failed to score against Zenit.
“I liked the first half,” Amkar coach Nikolai Trubachev said. “In the second half, Zenit stepped it up. Zenit are just Zenit, what can you say?”
Amkar, playing away against the title holders, didn’t hold back, attacking boldly and creating several good opportunities in the opening half.
The game was attended by former England boss Fabio Capello, who has agreed to take over Russia team on a two-year deal and is expected to sign the contract next week.
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
- Spalletti backs Guardiola, Semak for Russia post - Jul 11, 2012
- Rubin beat Zenit, win Russian Super Cup - Jul 15, 2012
- Zenit coach confirms interest in Nani - Aug 18, 2012
- Capello seeks Russian assistant - Jul 22, 2012
- Russia to decide on new coach soon: Sports minister - Jul 05, 2012
- Zenit signs young striker from Montenegro - Jun 06, 2012
- Spalletti backs Capello for Russia - Jul 15, 2012
- Zenit mulling Arshavin bid: Coach - Jul 20, 2012
- Russian adventure excites Cinquini - Jul 21, 2012
- Criscito flies to Italy for match-fixing hearing - Jul 15, 2012
- 'Russia can survive without Arshavin' - May 29, 2012
- Kerzhakov signs four-year extension at Zenit - Aug 18, 2012
- Arshavin visits St.Petersburg, sparks speculation - Aug 19, 2012
- Capello arrives in Moscow - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: alexander kerzhakov, amkar perm, euro 2012, fabio capello, football champions, konstantin, luciano spalletti, moscow, nikolai, opponents, poor performances, ria novosti, russian football, russian national team, second half, sergei semak, seventh time, st petersburg open, title defence, vm