Zardari promises ‘good news’ on Kashmir before Indian electionsSeptember 10th, 2008 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 9 (IANS) Pakistan’s new President Asif Ali Zardari Tuesday said he would have “some good news” on the Kashmir issue before India holds its next Lok Sabha elections.The 55-year-old Zardari, once known as “Mr 10 Percent”, was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice Abdul Hamid Dogar at a ceremony at the presidential palace here.
Addressing his maiden press conference soon after taking oath, and flanked by his Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai, Zardari hinted at holding of a caucus on the Kashmir issue soon to seek a resolution of the lingering dispute over which the two countries have fought two full fledged wars and a Kargil military conflict in 1999.
Zardari said the Pakistan government had taken all political forces into confidence over the issue of Kashmir and the nation “will soon hear some good news”.
He said he had a discussion with leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz on the issue and hoped to take the process ahead at a faster pace.
Pointing at the back-channel dialogue with India to resolve the issue, he said: “We intend to take it (Kashmir issue) to the Parliament’s Committee on Kashmir and we want to make progress before the Congress government (in New Delhi) goes in for the (next Lok Sabha) elections… we hope to give good news to the nation soon.”
Zardari said he would work together with all neighbouring countries. “We shall stand with each other, we shall not stand in each other’s way.”
- Zardari hopeful of resolving Kashmir dispute - Sep 12, 2008
- Will battle terror together: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- Pak back to singing K-issue settlement through UN resolution tune - May 04, 2010
- Pak Supreme Court dismisses PCO judges case objections - Dec 13, 2010
- Pakistani politicians speaking at cross-purposes on Kashmir? - Feb 08, 2010
- What if India, Pakistan freeze Kashmir issue? - Feb 29, 2012
- Pakistan denies military double game with Taliban - Feb 18, 2012
- Can Siachen be an 'ice breaker' for India and Pakistan? (Comment) - Apr 29, 2012
- Lahore high court restrains Zardari from politics - May 12, 2011
- Pakistan hopes Manmohan-Zardari talks will push peace (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Now India-China model for India-Pakistan ties? - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari visit: Pakistan hopes for peace; says no compromise on Kashmir - Apr 05, 2012
- Zardari's dual office case verdict will have far-reaching effects: LHC - Nov 25, 2010
- India-Pak 'interim' agreement on Kashmir was for 15 yrs: Kasuri - Apr 28, 2010
- Pakistan to work with neighbours for peace: Zardari - Nov 02, 2011