Zambia seeks Indian investments in heath, miningOctober 20th, 2011 - 11:43 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 20 (IANS) With Japan’s help, Zambia is seeking investments from the Indian business community in sectors like health, mining and education for economic development and job and wealth creation in the country.
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), which has collaborated with the Zambia Investment Agency, is supporting the African country to get Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) from India and other countries.
For this, JICA is implementing the Zambia Investment Promotion Project under an agreement between the governments of Japan and Zambia.
“We are implementing this project (Zambia Investment Promotion Project) since 2009. We are creating the platform for Zambian private sector and Indian private sector to meet and find out what kind of opportunities they have,” Maki Niioka, who is associated with the Zambia Investment Promotion Project, said at a programme here organised by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Niioka said Zambia was seeking Indian investment mainly in health and mining sectors.
“There is a win-win situation for Indian businessmen to invest in copper and coal mining in the African country,” she said.
She said a medical equipment company in Chennai had been planning to set up a diagnostic centre in Zambia but this is yet to materialised.
“Our aim is to facilitate this type of venture. If the company builds medical equipment facility in Osaka, it can supply equipment there. Even for simple diagnosis, many Zambians fly to South Africa. So if businessmen see the chance and also take a bit of risk, then they can go,” she said.
Saying that JICA was also trying to attract Malaysian investment in Zambia, Niioka said, “But I think India has more chances. Because there are many Indians who have Zambian passports. Many Indians are somewhat familiar with the African country and they are more willing to take risks.”
A 22-member delegation has been visiting the city to have interactions with business leaders here, seeking joint-ventures with Zambian companies or investment in the country.
- Zambia seeks Indian investment in agriculture - Aug 05, 2010
- Zambia seeks India's help for Green Revolution - Mar 19, 2012
- India signs $50m loan, offers $75m more to Zambia (Third Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Vice President leaves on visit to three African nations - Jan 05, 2010
- India offers $125 million lines of credit to Zambia (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Tata Africa to double turnover in two years - Jan 08, 2010
- India, Zambia toast growing trade and investment ties (Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Zambian emeralds sparkle in Indian jewellery - Jul 20, 2011
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- Karnataka mulls bullet trains for high-speed connectivity - Jun 04, 2012
- Japan hopes Tamil Nadu will go ahead with metro rail project - Jun 16, 2011
- Zambia seeks strong economic partnership with India: Envoy - Mar 07, 2010
- Japan to continue supporting forestry projects in India - Dec 02, 2011
- Indian vice president arrives in Zambia - Jan 05, 2010
- Zambia hopes to treble trade with India - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: chamber of commerce and industry, coal mining, diagnostic centre, fdi, foreign direct investment, indian business, indian businessmen, indian investment, indian investments, indian private sector, international cooperation agency, investment agency, investment promotion, japan international cooperation agency, jica, medical equipment company, member delegation, passports, promotion project, wealth creation