Zakia seeks copy of SIT report on Gujarat riotsFebruary 9th, 2012 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Feb 9 (IANS) A day after the Supreme Court-appointed SIT probing the 2002 Gujarat riots filed its final report, petitioner Zakia Jafri Thursday threatened to file a protest plea.
A statement from Jafri and activist Teesta Setalvad said they have sought a copy of the report. They said if it is a closure report, a protest petition would be filed.
A magisterial court has issued a notice to the Special Investigation Team after Setalvad and another activist, Mukul Sinha, separately sought copies of the SIT report.
According to reports, the SIT has given a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the post Godhra riots.
Jafri, the widow of former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri who was killed with 68 others at Gulberg Society, had filed a petition blaming Modi and 62 others for inciting the violence.
The BJP meanwhile said this was the third time Modi has been given a clean chit and the matter should be dropped now.
“If the report is right, then I would like to say this issue has been probed three times now,” BJP leader Arun Jaitley said.
“The first probe was by Gujarat Police, then the Geeta Johri enquiry, that was also under Supreme Court, and the third by this SIT of Supreme Court.”
On poll tour in Uttar Pradesh, Jaitley said, “All three reports are speaking the same language. I believe this chapter should be closed now. Those who want to keep this issue alive now only have a political motive.”
He also mentioned that the high court order saying the government should bear the expenses for repairing the damage to religious monuments during the riots, and said even as the court order should be followed, a secular government should not spend the exchequer’s money on religious monuments.
- BJP defends Modi, questions timing of SIT report (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Verdict a huge step forward: Setalvad - Sep 12, 2011
- Verdict victory for Modi, claims BJP - Sep 12, 2011
- Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre (Roundup) - Apr 10, 2012
- No clean chit to Modi: Congress - Sep 12, 2011
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- It's official: Modi gets clean chit in Gulberg massacre - Apr 10, 2012
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- God is great, tweets Modi after Supreme Court verdict - Sep 12, 2011
- Stop vilification campaign against Modi: BJP - Apr 10, 2012
- Court verdict a vindication, says BJP; Congress says no clean chit to Modi (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2011
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Apex court decision victory for Modi: BJP (Lead) - Sep 12, 2011
- Case against Modi should be closed: BJP - Feb 11, 2012
- Timeline of Zakia Jafri's case - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: activist, bjp, chief minister, clean chit, closure report, ehsan jafri, geeta johri, gujarat police, investigation team, mukul, narendra modi, petitioner, plea, political motive, protest petition, religious monuments, riots, secular government, sit report, third time