Zaheer takes Mumbai closer to 38th Ranji titleJanuary 14th, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 14 (IANS) Zaheer Khan wrecked the Uttar Pradesh batting Wednesday, picking up seven wickets and taking Mumbai to sniffing distance of the 38th Ranji Trophy title on the third day of the final here.At close of play, Mumbai were 130 for no loss in the second innings with skipper Wasim Jaffer batting on 74 and Vinayak Samant on 53 and extended the lead to 287 at the Rajiv Gandhi International stadium.
But it was Zaheer who set up the match for Mumbai with his second five-wicket haul in back-to-back Ranji Trophy finals by bowling out Uttar Pradesh for 245 in the first innings in reply to Mumbai’s 402.
Shivakant Shukla stood solid against the Mumbai bowlers with 99 runs.
Resuming at overnight 91 for three, Shukla along with Parvinder Singh (22) and Bhuvaneshwar Kumar (41) showed some resistance but Zaheer proved too hot to handle.
In his second spell with the second new ball, Zaheer took five wickets for 20 runs, and Uttar Pradesh slumped from from 214/4 to 245 all out. However, some of the umpiring decision raised eyebrows.
Jaffer and Samant then easily handled the lacklustre Uttar Pradesh bowlers and reached their fifties to take Mumbai close to yet another title.
- Ranji Trophy: Mumbai begin with a big win over Railways - Nov 06, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Raina cracks unbeaten double century; Harbhajan goes wicketless - Nov 05, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra well placed against Railways - Dec 22, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Ravindra Jadeja strikes triple ton against Orissa - Nov 04, 2011
- Tons from Sharma, Samant get Mumbai close to Ranji Trophy title - Jan 15, 2009
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi take slender lead against MP - Dec 07, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi fightback against MP - Dec 06, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Delhi, Mumbai, MP post emphatic wins - Dec 02, 2011
- Sudhindra's seven-wicket haul puts Madhya Pradesh on top - Dec 15, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Saurashtra's win over Punjab lone result in Elite Division - Nov 20, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Railways win by over innings against UP - Dec 08, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Kanitkar's ton against Mumbai; Baroda dismiss MP for 63 - Nov 10, 2011
- Ranji Trophy: Solanki, Dewan, Sunny, Pawar hit centuries - Nov 29, 2011
- Shukla stars in Bengal's maiden Vijay Hazare Trophy triumph - Mar 12, 2012
- Ranji Trophy: Baroda tottering at 319/8 against Delhi - Nov 05, 2009