Zaheer, Harbhajan play with Aussie passion: Steve WaughOctober 16th, 2008 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Oct 16 (IANS) Indian cricketers Zaheer Khan and Harbhajan Singh might have got under the skin of the Australians but former skipper Steve Waugh has praised the duo, saying they play with the passion of the “baggy greens”. “Without doubt, the turning point came on day three (of the drawn first Test) with Australia on the cusp of dominating proceedings until Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan combined to not only post invaluable half-centuries but soak up crucial time that halted Australia’s momentum,” Waugh wrote in his column in Herald Sun.
“It was a courageous partnership by two players who exhibit traits that Aussies admire, but at the same time annoy us. They are both combative, not afraid to be vocal and are able to bring out the best in those around them.
“In other words, they play with the passion that is expected of all “baggy greeners” and without their spirit Australia would be one-up,” he said.
Waugh was appreciative of Zaheer’s Man of the Match performance in the Bangalore Test.
“India will rejoice in the confidence Zaheer displayed. He has often frozen in big matches against Australia but this time he resembled Wasim Akram, producing late swing and deceptive pace,” he said.
- Replace Harbhajan with Mishra: Akram - Jul 27, 2011
- Jadeja putting pressure on Pathan: Akram - Oct 22, 2011
- Atherton's ridicule of baggy greens leaves Australians simmering - Jan 04, 2011
- India doesn't deserve to be No.1 Test team: Steve Waugh - Jul 28, 2010
- BCCI should rotate players to cut injuries: Akram - Aug 31, 2011
- Indian cricket on 'absolutely right track' for World Cup success: Akram - Oct 19, 2010
- Not fair to judge Dhoni after two defeats, says Akram - Aug 03, 2011
- India no longer one-man team dependent on Tendulkar: Wasim Akram - Dec 31, 2010
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Harbhajan creates record with his run fest (Statistical highlights) - Nov 14, 2010
- Wasim Akram blasts India's batting legends - Jan 19, 2012
- Akram criticises selectors for ignoring Younis for England tour - Jun 27, 2010
- India should learn to live without Zaheer: Sourav - Sep 22, 2011
- India's South Africa tour is ill-timed: Akram - Dec 13, 2010
- England's superior bowling will win them series: Boycott - Jul 27, 2011