YSR’s widow retains Pulivendula, Jagan heads for huge win (Second Lead)May 13th, 2011 - 5:24 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 13 (IANS) Y.S. Vijayalaxmi, widow of former Andhra Pradesh chief minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy, Friday retained Pulivendula assembly seat with a huge majority while their son and YSR Congress Party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy headed to a massive victory in the Kadapa Lok Sabha by-election.
Vijayalaxmi of YSR Congress Party bagged the assembly seat with a majority of 85,191 votes, breaking the record of her husband who won only two years ago by 68,681 votes.
Riding on a sympathy wave, caused by the death of her husband, she polled 114,198 votes while her brother-in-law Y.S. Vivekananda Reddy of the ruling Congress secured only 28,626 votes.
B. Tech Ravi of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) finished a poor third with 11,552 votes and lost his deposit.
Vijayamma, as she is popularly known, was elected unopposed in the December 2009 by-elections held four months after the death of YSR in a helicopter crash.
Jaganmohan Reddy, popularly called Jagan, is all set to retain the Kadapa Lok Sabha seat with a record majority. He has established a majority of over 500,000 votes over his nearest rival D.L. Ravindra Reddy of Congress.
The by-elections, caused by their resignations, were held May 8.
It is the first test of strength for the son of the late chief minister after he quit the Congress and floated the YSR Congress Party.
Among the 13.29 lakh eligible voters in Kadapa, 10.28 lakh exercised their franchises.
In Pulivendula, one of the seven assembly segments of Kadapa Lok Sabha, 156,276 of the 189,000 electorate voted.
There were 42 candidates in Kadapa and 25 in Pulivendula.
In 2009, Jagan won with a majority of 178,846 votes. He had polled 542,611 votes while Palem Srikanth Reddy of the TDP secured 363,765 votes.
- YSR's son, widow win by-elections by record margins (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- YSR's widow, son head towards huge wins (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- A bad day for Congress, says Andhra chief minister - May 13, 2011
- A slap on the face of Congress, TDP: Jagan - May 13, 2011
- Congress-YSR Congress face-off in Kadappa Sunday - May 07, 2011
- Campaigning ends for Kadapa by-elections - May 06, 2011
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- About 70 percent voting in Andhra by-polls (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- YSR's son, widow lead in by-elections - May 13, 2011
- Newly-elected legislators call on Jagan in jail - Jun 16, 2012
- Jagan party shocks Congress, wrests three council seats - Mar 23, 2011
- Peaceful polling in Andhra by-polls (Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Jaganmohan files nomination for Kadapa Lok Sabha bypoll - Apr 15, 2011
- Polling begins in Andhra by-polls - May 08, 2011
- Jagan challenges Congress for snap poll - May 14, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh chief, assembly seat, chief minister, congress party, electorate, eligible voters, first test, helicopter crash, jagan, kadapa, Lok Sabha, massive victory, party leader, ravindra, resignations, srikanth reddy, tdp, telugu desam party, vivekananda, ysr