Youth’s killing triggers tensions in north KashmirFebruary 11th, 2012 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 11 (IANS) The death of a 25-year-old youth in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district during a cordon-and-search operation late Friday evening, triggered tensions in the area Saturday.
Ashiq Hussain Rather, 25, died in a firing incident in Laisar (Rafiabad) village of Baramulla district when 32 Rashtriya Rifles troops laid a cordon around the village following a tip-off about the presence of separatist guerrillas in the village.
A senior police officer said the youth had died due an accidental shot by one of the soldiers during the cordon operation.
“According to the Rashtriya Rifles, it was an accidental shot which killed the youth during yesterday’s cordon and search operation in the village. We are investigating the unfortunate incident,” Syed Imtiyaz Hussain, Superintendent of Police (Sopore) told IANS.
Tensions are running high in the area with locals demanding those responsible for the innocent youth’s death be brought to justice.
Meanwhile, state junior minister (Home), Nasir Aslam Wani and director general of police (DGP) Kuldeep Khoda reached the village to take stock of the situation.
Jammu and Kashmir chief minister, Omar Abdullah is also likely to visit the village today.
Omar has been relentlessly pursuing the cause for revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) which gives sweeping powers to the Army and other central security forces in areas which have been declared as disturbed in the state because of the over 20-year old separatist insurgency here.
- Youth's death in firing triggers tension in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Baramulla tense over youth's killing, probe ordered (Roundup) - Feb 11, 2012
- One killed in CISF firing, Kashmir promises action (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Guerrillas shoot dead youth in Kashmir - Feb 19, 2012
- Fresh tension erupts in Kashmir as 9-year boy dies in firing - Jun 28, 2010
- Five troopers held for Kashmir firing death (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Army soldier, two terrorists killed in Rajouri gunbattle - Aug 16, 2010
- Five CRPF troopers injured in Kashmir attack - Jun 17, 2012
- Rajouri encounter against militants ends after three days - Aug 16, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir - May 05, 2012
- Separatist guerrillas kill cable operator in Kashmir - Apr 24, 2010
- Gunfight breaks out in north Kashmir - Jun 17, 2010
- Top Lashkar militant, involved in cleric's murder, gunned down - Sep 13, 2011
- Two militants killed in Kashmir - May 11, 2010
- Foreign guerrilla killed in Kashmir gunfight - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: afspa, ashiq, aslam, central security, chief minister, dgp, innocent youth, jammu, junior minister, kashmir, khoda, kuldeep, nasir, north kashmir, rashtriya rifles, search operation, separatist guerrillas, srinagar, unfortunate incident, wani