Youth protesting hooch sale attacked in West BengalMarch 1st, 2009 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 1 (IANS) A 18-year-old youth was seriously injured by those selling illicit liquor Sunday in a West Bengal town after he tried to protest its sale.
Residents of Chamrail town of Kolkata’s neighbouring Howrah district raided a local hooch outlet Saturday night. The hooch-sellers, in turn, clashed with the residents Sunday morning.
“I was studying for the forthcoming higher secondary examination in my room when I heard some hooch-sellers shouting abuse and scuffling with our neighbours and my father. As they tried to slap my father, I rushed outside,” Chiranjit Singha Roy said.
“I had read (in newspapers) sometime back how innocent people died in Kolkata after consuming hooch. I threatened to inform the police if they didn’t stop selling the ‘poison’, and they hit me on my forehead with a chopper,” Roy said.
Roy was rushed to the local hospital where his deep wound was stitched up.
- Hooch sellers want financial package from Mamata - Dec 22, 2011
- West Bengal hooch deaths rise to 171, official suspended (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Maoists hit a wine seller in West Midnapore - Nov 15, 2010
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- 81,000 litres of illicit liquor destroyed in Nepal - Jun 20, 2012
- Hooch sellers to be helped into alternate trade: Mamata - Dec 23, 2011
- Hooch kills 17 in Andhra (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Mamata to lead rally against illegal liquor Dec 30 - Dec 23, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 143 (Intro Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011
- B-town supports SRK, says any father would react similarly - May 18, 2012
- Moonshine kills 11 in Punjab - Aug 07, 2012
- 13 held for hooch tragedy in Bihar - Feb 20, 2011
- Woman molested for spurning Trinamool, tries suicide - Apr 18, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh hooch tragedy toll 9, prime accused held - Sep 09, 2010