Youth gets life term for kidnapping, rapeMarch 31st, 2009 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 31 (IANS) A youth who kidnapped and raped a six-year-old girl before strangling her to death and then attempted to destroy evidence by setting her body on fire has been awarded rigorous life imprisonment by a city court.
“The accused deserves to be awarded a sentence of life imprisonment for the heinous offence,” Additional Sessions Judge J.R. Aryan said, while refusing to award the death penalty to convict Surender Khare.
The court took note of circumstantial evidence and said the poor social background of the accused also did not warrant the award of death penalty.
Finding the accused guilty under Sections 302 (murder), 363 (kidnapping), 376 (rape) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code, the court also imposed a fine of Rs.14,000 on him.
The victim, a student of class II, was lured away by the convict on Feb 6, 2007 when she was playing outside her house in a south Delhi locality.
She was raped and then strangled to death by the convict, who tried to set the body on fire, the prosecution said.
- Rapist leaves scar on woman's chastity: Court - Sep 02, 2012
- Bangalore driver found guilty of techie's murder (Second Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Nithari killings: Koli gets fourth death sentence (Lead) - Dec 22, 2010
- Court upholds life term for man who raped, killed daughter - Oct 23, 2011
- Mattoo rape-cum-murder: Sentence reduced from death to life term (Third Lead) - Oct 06, 2010
- Nithari killings: Koli gets death for minor girl's murder (Lead) - May 12, 2010
- Sukhdev Pehalwan gets life term for Nitish Katara murder (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Nitish Katara murder: Third accused held guilty - Jul 06, 2011
- Pune rape, murder accused awarded death penalty (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Circumstantial proof must stand on its own feet: Apex court - Jun 15, 2011
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Death sentence to Koli in Nithari murder case - Sep 28, 2010
- Pratibha murder: Bangalore cabbie sentenced for life (Lead) - Oct 08, 2010
- Circumstantial evidence should be conclusive: Supreme Court - Jan 15, 2012