Youth crushed to death, irate mob torches bus in PunjabJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Dera Bassi (Punjab), Jan 2 (IANS) A Volvo bus contracted to the state transport department was torched by an irate mob on the Chandigarh-Ambala highway near here late Friday evening after it crushed a motorcyclist to death, the police said.”The recklessly driven bus crushed a motorcycle rider while he was taking a turn. The deceased has been identified as 26-year-old Jasbir Singh, resident of Bhankarpur village near here,” Mohali police chief Jatinder Singh Aulakh told IANS.
Jasbir died on the spot while the driver and conductor of the bus fled from the scene.
The agitated people gathered at the accident spot and blocked the road, leading to a traffic jam on the busy Chandigarh-Ambala highway for hours.
The mob included hundreds of residents of Bhankarpur village near Dera Bassi town, around 20 km from Chandigarh.
After forcing the bus passengers to alight, the mob started pelting stones at the bus and then set it on fire.
- Peepli Live from Punjab village - Apr 17, 2011
- Treetop protester is a proclaimed offender, say police - Apr 20, 2011
- Punjab politician perches on tree, demands Badal come - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab politician climbs tree in protest, wants to meet Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Punjab politician climbs tree in protest, wants to meet Badal (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Man robbed of car on highway - Apr 18, 2011
- Speeding BMW car crushes two people - Feb 12, 2011
- Punjab villager ends treetop protest, touches ground again - May 14, 2011
- Bus crushes traffic cop, cyclist to death, injures another - Jan 24, 2011
- Nine of family, driver die in Maharashtra accident - Dec 12, 2010
- Six pilgrims killed in Haryana accident - Oct 16, 2010
- Man killed in east Delhi firing was family's sole provider - Sep 03, 2012
- Eight students among 12 killed in Haryana road accident - Apr 28, 2011
- NRI raped on pretext of marriage - Feb 08, 2011
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010