Youth Congress chooses Punjab for poll projectAugust 31st, 2008 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 30 (IANS) The Indian Youth Congress (IYC), the youth wing of the Congress party, has chosen Punjab to implement a pilot project for completing organisational elections in November.The IYC elections are being held for the first time under the aegis of the Foundation for Advanced Management of Elections (FAME) which is headed by two former chief election commissioners, J.M. Lyngdoh and T.S. Krishnamurthy.
IYC president Ashok Tanwar said Saturday that it was for the first time that internal elections of an organisation were being held under FAME’s supervision.
“The era of nominating leaders is over. This will be truly representative elections from blocks till the state president,” Tanwar said.
Former Election Commission secretary K.J. Rao, who is associated with FAME, said: “These elections will identify the real leaders. Leaders who have not risen through a transparent and democratic process cannot be expected to do the job of running the world’s largest democracy successfully. We hope other political parties adopt the same.”
Rao said that candidates with any kind of criminal record will not be allowed to contest the organizational polls.
- Not all Youth Congress office-bearers are elected - Nov 28, 2011
- 'Reforms in poll panel needed for better functioning' - Mar 15, 2011
- Rahul becomes part of Congress trinity at Buniyaad (Youth Congress convention sidelights) - Nov 28, 2011
- Goa's Alemao brothers resign from cabinet, Congress - Jul 23, 2011
- Young Congress icon Rahul playing 'bigger role' - Jan 11, 2009
- Rahul bars youngsters with criminal record from party - Jul 22, 2009
- Rahul to inaugurate Youth Congress show in Delhi - Nov 26, 2011
- Youth Congress dismisses anti-Rahul statements by former office bearer - Jun 28, 2011
- South Asian election commissioners exchanging best practices - Jan 21, 2011
- Rahul's changes empowered us: Women Youth Congress workers - Nov 27, 2011
- Monica Bharti new Himachal Youth Congress chief - Apr 21, 2012
- Virbhadra's son's election to Youth Congress set aside - Jan 20, 2012
- Rahul to open mega Youth Congress show in Delhi (Lead) - Nov 26, 2011
- Apex court questions JNU on students' union poll - Nov 28, 2011
- 24 percent Youth Congress members are women - Nov 28, 2011