Youth commits suicide in police custodyApril 18th, 2008 - 12:21 am ICT by admin
Ludhiana (Punjab), April 17 (IANS) A youth arrested by the police on charges of stealing a motorcycle given to him by his employer, committed suicide in police custody Thursday. Anish Kumar, 27, from Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh, committed suicide in the lock-up of the Focal Point police station by hanging himself with his shirt, reportedly because he was unable to bear the stigma of being imprisoned.
Three personnel of the Ludhiana police were Thursday suspended by senior officers for negligence of duty. They include an assistant sub-inspector and a head constable.
The victim was working for a yarn dealer in this industrial city for the last few months.
He was arrested by the police Wednesday evening after his employer lodged a complaint of a motorcycle theft against him. The motorcycle was given to Kumar by the employer, claimed victim’s brother.
Superintendent of Police G.S. Randhawa said that the police were investigating the case.
- One cop held with drugs, four suspended in Ghaziabad - Feb 02, 2011
- Observation home caretaker among five held for auto-theft - Nov 08, 2011
- Vehicle thieves arrested - Dec 05, 2010
- Four Delhi Police personnel injured in accident - Apr 08, 2012
- Cop crushed to death in Delhi - Feb 28, 2011
- Three policemen suspended, probe ordered into custodial death in J-K - Aug 31, 2009
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Girl commits suicide in Punjab police station - Jun 20, 2010
- Suspended cop held for plot to kill wife - Sep 06, 2011
- Chhattisgarh town tense after cop killed by thieves - Feb 03, 2011
- Suspended cop takes senior 'hostage' in Hyderabad - Sep 12, 2012
- Two held for Uttar Pradesh cop's killing - Oct 27, 2011
- 'Chacha-Bhatija' vehicle theft ring busted - Feb 04, 2012
- Mob torches police station after youth dies in custody - Feb 14, 2011
- Case against police station: Five cops suspended - Jun 17, 2011