Youth arrested for SMS threatening to blow up Bihar templeOctober 4th, 2008 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Oct 4 (IANS) A youth was arrested for sending an SMS threatening to blow up Bihar’s Vishnupad temple that is visited by thousands of Hindus from India and abroad, police said.The temple, located in Gaya town, about 100 km from here, is dedicated to Hindu god Vishnu.
Sanjay Singh, in his mid-20s, is the son of Shankar Singh, a Bihar police constable, and lives in the police line quarters under the Rampur police station.
“Singh is being interrogated to find out if he has any links with any terrorist outfit,” Gaya police chief Malar Vizhi told IANS on the telephone.
Security around the temple has been beefed up for the fortnight-long Pitrapaksh festival, during which Hindus consider it auspicious to offer ‘pindadan’ to seek salvation for the dead from the cycle of rebirth.
Legend has it that Hindu god Ram, along with Sita, had performed the ritual at the temple for his father, Dasharath.
Police sources said that Singh had sent the SMS last week to Magadh Range DIG Pravin Bashist and District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar.
It led to panic as news spread that a terrorist organisation was targeting the temple.
Some activists of Hinduvta outfits spread rumours that Muslim or Islamic terrorists were behind the SMS.
“We demand a high level probe into an SMS sender’s connection and links. The truth should be exposed,” Roomi Khan, a Muslim youth said. His demand was supported by hundreds of Muslims, who suspected a conspiracy behind the SMS.
“Police should inquire whether Bajrang Dal, VHP or any other organisation was behind Singh,” businessman Salam Ansari said.
- He seeks salvation for faceless hundreds - Sep 25, 2011
- Ayodhya verdict casts a shadow over Gaya pindadaan - Sep 23, 2010
- Security beefed up at Bihar temple after terror threat - Sep 27, 2008
- A Bihar man's 'salvation' service for souls - Oct 03, 2010
- Three women perform father's 'pinda daan' in Gaya - Sep 26, 2010
- Praying for ancestors' salvation, Hindus head for Gaya - Sep 04, 2009
- In Bihar, Hindu period to pray for dead begins - Sep 15, 2008
- Hindu temple comes up in Bihar - with Muslim help - Feb 05, 2012
- Hindu salvation ritual performed for Michael Jackson - Sep 14, 2009
- Nine killed as truck auto-rickshaw crash in Bihar - Mar 01, 2011
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Japanese woman performs 'pinda daan' at Gaya - Sep 11, 2009
- Bihar scraps online prayer for ancestors - Aug 07, 2009
- Muslims help in temple construction in Ramadan in Bihar - Jul 28, 2012
- 'Pinda daan' online? Never, say Hindu priests in Gaya - Jul 03, 2009