Yet another inquiry into racism in British policeOctober 7th, 2008 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 7 (IANS) The British home minister Tuesday ordered an appraisal of police recruitment and promotion practices in two provinces of Britain after an association of black and Asian policemen urged ethnic minorities not to join the police, alleging racism.Jacqui Smith said that her police minister, Vernon Coaker, will carry out a two-week appraisal of police forces in England and Wales.
The move comes just a day after the Conservative mayor of London, Boris Johnson, ordered his own inquiry into allegations of racism in the Metropolitan Police, which is responsible for policing the British capital and its surrounding areas.
The Metropolitan Black Police Association (MBPA) announced Monday it will use an advertising campaign to “actively discourage” black and Asian Britons from joining the force because they were treated unfairly.
Smith responded: “The police service is determined to offer fair and equal opportunities to all its members, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or background.
“Over the last 10 years minority ethnic representation in the police service has doubled. However, we accept there is a long way to go, and we are determined to work with the police to achieve that.”
Allegations of racism in the police have been aired beyond London.
Kent Chief Constable Mike Fuller, Britain’s most senior black police officer, has said ethnic minority police have to work “twice as hard’ as their white colleagues in order to succeed.
Fuller said he himself had fallen prey to racism, with people having tried to block past promotions.
- London police asked to have more ethnic officers - Jul 08, 2010
- UK government to review police recruitment and promotion prospects of ethnic minorities - Oct 07, 2008
- London mayor orders police racism inquiry after charges - Oct 06, 2008
- UK mayor's report favors minority recruits joining Met at a higher rank - Jul 08, 2010
- Asian-origin accountant sues UK firm for racial discrimination - Jan 24, 2011
- UK cops axe target for recruiting minorities - Feb 21, 2009
- Inquest into Russian spy's death to begin in 2013 - Sep 21, 2012
- Muslim woman police officer files racism charge in UK - Oct 19, 2008
- Racism at work 'still very common' - Jun 16, 2010
- Racial profiling undermining moral authority of democracy in UK: Jesse Jackson - Oct 18, 2010
- British Police most senior Muslim woman officer ostracised even from coffee - Oct 19, 2008
- Home Office stop, search plans are 'discriminatory and racist', warns UK watchdog - Nov 16, 2010
- Black police chief: Ethnic officers still losing out - Oct 06, 2008
- UK police force losing fight against racism, says report - Sep 24, 2009
- 'Mastermind' audition fails to attract Bradford's Brit-Asians - Apr 22, 2011