Yesteryears’ playback singer Shamshad Begum named for Padma BhushanJanuary 26th, 2009 - 1:45 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 26 (IANS) Legendary playback singer Shamshad Begum, who became a rage in the 1940s and 1950s with songs like “Leke pehla pehla pyar” and “Kabhi aar kabhi paar”, has been named among the Padma Bhushan awardees this year.According to media reports, the singer now 80, is not keeping well.
Begum, who started her career with All India Radio in 1937, became a sensation during the 1940s and the late 1950s and worked with maestros like Naushad Ali and O.P. Nayyar. She is credited with singing one of the first Westernised songs, “Meri jaan… Sunday ke Sunday” in the Hindi film industry, and her singing was characterised by a nasal twang.
Some of her memorable numbers are “Kahin pe nigahen kahin pe nishana”, “Poochh mera kya naam re”, “Mere piya gaye Rangoon”, and “Holi aayee re Kanhaai”.
- It was 'Love in Simla' for 'Shagird' Joy Mukherjee (Filmography) - Mar 09, 2012
- Hariharan, Uthup pay musical tribute to Indian cinema - Jun 09, 2012
- Joy Mukherjee: Bengali babu who charmed with boyish looks (Obituary) - Mar 09, 2012
- In 'De Ghuma Ke', Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy score a hit with World Cup song - Jan 03, 2011
- Interesting Facts and Figures Geeta Dutt - May 23, 2009
- Dev Anand remembers Mohammed Rafi - Jul 31, 2011
- A fascinating fight between Shaan and Shreya - Feb 25, 2010
- Wishes, blessings galore for Asha Bhosle on birthday - Sep 08, 2010
- Aamir Khan And Farah Khan: Work Together After A Decade Long Pause! - Jan 13, 2011
- Winter rain: Splashing romance on Bollywood songs - Jan 24, 2012
- Baby Doll does not want to dance - Oct 02, 2009
- A song on her lips, a style of her own, Asha Bhosle turns 77 (Sep 8 is Asha Bhosle's birthday) - Sep 07, 2010
- Classical training is a must for singers -Mitali Chaudhry - Feb 26, 2010
- 'Aarakshan' songs have universal appeal: Jha - Jun 01, 2011
- Asha Bhosle's wedding gift for 'Indian Idol 6' contestant (TV Snippets) - Jul 13, 2012