Yemeni government hails UN’s call for all-party dialogueJune 26th, 2011 - 7:32 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, June 26 (IANS) The Yemeni government has welcomed the UN Security Council calling on the country’s political rivals to “engage in a political dialogue” and observe “maximum restraint”, Xinhua reported Sunday.
“The government of Yemen welcomes the statement of the UN Security Council issued Friday that called for all-around dialogue of all Yemeni political sides,” the state-run Saba news agency quoted government as saying in a statement.
“The Yemeni government is ready to engage in constructive talks with opposition parties for the sake of the country’s unity, stability and security,” the statement read, in response to the call of the UN Security Council.
The government also said that the promised dialogue would be based on an earlier reconciliation initiative brokered by the countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and hailed by the UN.
On Friday, the UN Security Council had expressed “grave concern” on the deteriorating security and humanitarian situation in Yemen and urged all parties to show “maximum restraint” and to “engage in an inclusive political dialogue.”
Yemen has witnessed five-month-long anti-government protests since mid-January, calling for ousting their long-time President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
- Yemeni President Saleh calls for early presidential elections - May 21, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- UN Security Council urges strict implementation of Yemeni political agreement - Nov 29, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh says he will 'soon' return to his country - Aug 17, 2011
- US asks Yemeni president to hand over power - Jul 11, 2011
- Yemen seals Al Jazeera TV office in Sana'a - Apr 10, 2011
- Yemen opposition insists Saleh quit, president digs in - Mar 22, 2011
- Yemen to get over $3 billion Saudi Arabian aid - May 24, 2012
- Yemen: Opposition accepts Saleh's reform initiative, protests continue - Feb 13, 2011
- Yemen's Saleh hands over power to new president - Feb 27, 2012
- Yemeni women protest over president's 'degrading' remarks - Apr 17, 2011
- Yemeni president orders beginning of power transfer - Mar 12, 2011
- UNSC voices grave concern over Yemen - Aug 10, 2011
- Yemeni leader orders troops to protect protesters, loyalists - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: ali abdullah saleh, gcc, government of yemen, grave concern, gulf cooperation council, humanitarian situation, maximum restraint, news agency, opposition parties, political dialogue, political rivals, president ali abdullah saleh, protests, reconciliation initiative, saba, sake, time president, un security council, unity, xinhua