Yemen hands over Saudi suspects after Al Qaeda plots uncoveredAugust 21st, 2008 - 3:19 pm ICT by IANS
Sana’a (Yemen), Aug 21 (DPA) Yemen has extradited to Saudi Arabia eight Saudis one week after Yemeni police uncovered suspected plots by Al Qaeda to carry out terrorist attacks in Yemen and Saudi Arabia, a state-run weekly reported Thursday.The eight men were “wanted by Saudi security authorities on security-related charges,” said the 26 September newspaper, the defence ministry mouthpiece.
“The handover was made within the past two days in line with cooperation between the two brotherly countries, and under the security cooperation agreement,” the paper quoted an unnamed security source as saying.
This is the latest such handover between Yemen and its oil-rich neighbour Saudi Arabia under an extradition agreement inked in 2003.
Last week, Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh said police had discovered plots by Al Qaeda to strike targets in inside the country and in Saudi Arabia.
Documents and blueprints for the plans were reportedly found after police forces raided a hideout for Al Qaeda in southeast Yemen Aug 12.
Police killed five suspected members of Al Qaeda in the raid in Tarim town of Hadhramout province.
Among the suspects killed was Hamza al-Quaiti, a suspected mastermind of several car bomb attacks that hit Yemen in recent years. Two other suspects were injured in the firefight and arrested by police. Two police officers were killed in the clash.
- Al Qaeda leader surrenders in Yemen - Jun 07, 2010
- Yemeni police uncover second Al Qaeda-linked cell - Aug 15, 2008
- Yemen extradites five suspected terrorists to Saudi Arabia - Mar 29, 2009
- Yemen authorities arrest 30 Al Qaeda suspects - Aug 28, 2008
- Yemeni Al Qaeda commander killed in air strike (Lead) - Jan 16, 2010
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
- Pakistan deports Osama family to Saudi Arabia - Apr 27, 2012
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Al Qaeda abducts Yemeni intelligence officer - Mar 22, 2012
- Al-Qaeda leader Al-Awlaki killed: Yemen - Sep 30, 2011
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Al-Qaeda planned to use poisoned perfume to kill Saudi govt. officials - Dec 05, 2010
- Al Qaeda kills six cops in Yemen - May 14, 2011
- Osama's relative in Pakistan to shift family - Mar 06, 2012
- Yemeni president appoints new trade minister - Jan 23, 2011