Yemen denies military base’ seizure by militantsMay 28th, 2011 - 8:01 am ICT by IANS
Sana’a, May 28 (IANS) The Yemeni defense ministry has denied reports suggesting anti-government armed tribesmen took control over military bases and shot down military planes outside the capital, Xinhua quoted official Saba news agency as stating.
“What have been reported by media that tribe militants seized military bases and shot down fighter jets, were baseless,” Saba quoted a defence ministry spokesman as saying Friday.
“What happened was that an armed group belonging to the opposition Muslim Brotherhoods Islah party and their allies of the Joint Meeting Parties (JMPs) raided a military check point stationed in Farada area in Nehm, some 40 km northeast of Sanaa,” the spokesman said.
The government troops fired back at those outlaw militants, inflicted big casualties among the attackers as the clashes also led the commander of the military checkpoint and six soldiers killed, said the official.
He also denied that military planes were shot down.
The clashes between the anti-government tribesmen and the government forces have erupted since Monday as at least 127 people have been killed during the five-day gun battles.
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemen seals Al Jazeera TV office in Sana'a - Apr 10, 2011
- Yemen opposition insists Saleh quit, president digs in - Mar 22, 2011
- 175 Russians evacuated from Yemen - Jun 13, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- 28 die in Yemen weapons depot blast - May 26, 2011
- UN secretary general calls for end to Yemen clashes - May 26, 2011
- Drones kill 10 Al Qaeda militants in Yemen - Jun 13, 2012
- Saleh to sacrifice 'blood and soul' to confront opponents - Apr 01, 2011
- Protests rattle major cities across Yemen - Apr 14, 2011
- US asks embassy officials in Yemen to evacuate - May 26, 2011
- Yemeni women protest over president's 'degrading' remarks - Apr 17, 2011
- 19 killed, hundreds injured in clashes across Yemen - May 12, 2011
- Policeman shot dead by Yemen protesters - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: armed group, attackers, brotherhoods, checkpoint, clashes, defence ministry spokesman, defense ministry, fighter jets, government forces, government troops, gun battles, islah, military base, military bases, military planes, saba, six soldiers, tribesmen, xinhua, yemeni