Yaswant Sinha, Munda arrested during BJP’s Jharkhand agitationFebruary 12th, 2009 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Feb 12 (IANS) Former external affairs minister Yashwant Sinhqa and former chief minister Arjun Munda were among hundreds of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) protesters arrested during an agitation in the Jharkhand capital Thursday.
The BJP is demanding dissolution of the state assembly that has been put under suspended animation and fresh elections in Jharkhand, which is under President’s Rule since Jan 19.
The President’s Rule had to be imposed in Jharkhand after Shibu Soren, then chief minister, stepped down following a defeat in a key by-election.
Around 10,000 BJP workers tried to break barricades to reach the governor house, Raj Bhavan, for the agitation “Ghera Dalo Dera Dalo”. Sinha and Munda were leading the protesters.
State party president Raghubar Das and BJP legislators also joined the protests to Raj Bhavan that was fortified and all its four gates were barricaded.
Authorities put in heavy security arrangements to thwart the BJP agitation.
Minor clashes also broke out between the police and BJP workers near the gate number two of Raj Bhavan. The police used water cannons and batons to disperse the protesters.
Hundreds of BJP workers, including senior leaders Sinha and Munda, were taken into preventive custody, said a police officer.
The BJP termed the agitation as success. “This is success of our agitation. The administration made the governor (Syed Sibtey Razi) captive for several hours as all the gates were barricaded and no one was allowed to come outside or go inside. This is the success of our agitation,” Das told reporters.
The administration diverted traffic on the routes leading to the governor’s house, putting people, particularly students, into hardship.
- Yashwant, Munda injured as BJP protests in Jharkhand (Lead) - Feb 12, 2009
- BJP workers court arrest in Ranchi - Jun 23, 2012
- Jharkhand BJP workers demonstrate against central rule - Oct 11, 2009
- BJP aligns with JMM, seeks to form Jharkhand government (Third Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- BJP joins up with JMM again, stakes claim for Jharkhand government (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2010
- Backed by JMM, BJP set to form Jharkhand government (Intro Roundup) - Sep 07, 2010
- Jharkhand demolitions: BJP leaders seeks PM's intervention - Apr 21, 2011
- Yashwant Sinha, others surrender to court, get bail - Apr 21, 2011
- Kateekal Sankaranarayanan takes oath as Governor of Jharkhand - Jul 26, 2009
- With JMM support, BJP stakes claim to form Jharkhand government (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Sinha ends strike, Jharkhand to move court to stay demolitions (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Munda chosen BJP legislative party leader - Sep 07, 2010
- BJP pulls plug, Soren gets a week to prove majority (Fourth Lead) - May 24, 2010
- BJP demands probe in Razi's role during central rule in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2009
- Jhakhand scraps free power connection scheme - Apr 16, 2011