Yamuna flowing above danger mark, alert soundedAugust 17th, 2008 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) With continued rain, hundreds of people from several slum clusters along the banks of the Yamuna in Delhi were evacuated as the river was flowing three feet above the danger mark, a top official said Sunday. “The river is flowing nearly 40 centimetres (3.3 feet) above the danger mark. We have sounded an alert across the Yamuna embankment,” Delhi Chief Secretary Rakesh Mehta told IANS.
In Delhi, the danger level for the river is 204.88 metres.
“We have already evacuated people from nearly five slum clusters, mainly in east Delhi,” he said.
He said the Delhi government has already blocked a few major drains flowing into the river.
“We have blocked the gates to stop the back flow of flood water. We hope the water will recede from Monday evening,” Mehta said, adding that drain waters were being pumped out to maintain pressure and overflowing.
Heavy rains in the last one week and release of river water by neighbouring Haryana and Himachal Pradesh have worsened the situation in Delhi.
In the last three days, Himachal Pradesh has released 100,000 cusecs of water and Haryana has released nearly 140,000 cusecs of water.
Authorities said they have set up control rooms in several places, especially in east and north Delhi, to keep a tab on the water level of the river.
- Nearly 100 trapped in Delhi, Yamuna flows above danger mark (Lead) - Aug 17, 2008
- Yamuna continues to flow above danger level in Delhi - Aug 18, 2011
- Yamuna below danger mark by Sunday evening - Sep 26, 2010
- No threat of floods in Delhi: Minister (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Two Haryana districts flooded - Aug 19, 2010
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Yamuna above danger mark, may rise more before receding - Sep 14, 2010
- Fresh breach in Yamuna poses flood threat to Haryana - Sep 23, 2010
- Haryana battling floods, releases more water in Yamuna (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Haryana not releasing water in Yamuna deliberately - Sep 10, 2010
- Yamuna above danger mark in Agra - Aug 21, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana on alert as flood threat looms (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Yamuna ebbs further, still flowing above danger level (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Yamuna flows above danger mark, over 900 evacuated (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Delhi fears flood as Haryana releases more water - Sep 20, 2010