Yamuna above danger mark in AgraAugust 21st, 2011 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Agra/Mathura, Aug 21 (IANS) The Yamuna river here in Uttar Pradesh crossed the danger mark early Sunday, officials said.
“We are fully prepared and are closely monitoring the situation,” said Municipal Commissioner of Agra P.N. Dube.
Agra drains are choked and the backflow is creating drainage problem, he said.
The Yamuna river is now flowing at the low flood level danger mark due to heavy discharges from upstream barrages, but is still below the highest levels.
The discharge from the Gokul barrage in Mathura district is increasing every few hours, following the release of water from Okhla and Hathini Kund barrages.
Hundreds of villages in Bah, Fatehabad, Etmadpur and Kiraoli tehsils in Agra are likely to be affected by the flood waters in the next few days.
The Keshi Ghat and a part of the Parikrama route at Vrindavan in Mathura are already submerged.
Police have started evacuating people from low-lying areas in Mathura.
Yamuna Saturday submerged a large part of the Banshi-bat area in Vrindavan.
Release of more than a lakh cusecs of water Friday night has reached Vrindavan, inundating half a dozen colonies in the low-lying areas along the river bank.
Irrigation department officials said they have received reports that more than six lakh cusecs of water had been released from Tajewala barrage upstream of Delhi.
- Three killed in lightning strike in Agra, Yamuna flooded - Aug 30, 2012
- Yamuna nears danger mark in Agra - Aug 28, 2010
- Yamuna, Chambal rivers in spate - Aug 25, 2012
- Agra monuments, colonies flooded as Yamuna level rise - Sep 26, 2010
- Yamuna water rising, flood situation grim in Agra - Sep 24, 2010
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- Yamuna in spate, flood threat in Agra - Aug 25, 2010
- Swollen Yamuna poses flood threat to Agra - Sep 12, 2010
- Yamuna continues to flow above danger mark in Agra - Sep 28, 2010
- Yamuna crosses danger mark - Aug 17, 2011
- Two highways, villages flooded in Haryana (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Yamuna rise has Agra residents in panic - Sep 10, 2010
- Agra battles water crisis as Yamuna is highly polluted - Jan 17, 2011
- Flood waters start receding in Haryana areas - Sep 21, 2010
- Haryana flood threat rises after Yamuna headwork damaged - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: backflow, barrage, barrages, cusecs, danger mark, department officials, discharges, drainage problem, drains, dube, flood level, flood waters, friday night, ghat, half a dozen, irrigation department, keshi, municipal commissioner, vrindavan, yamuna river