WW II veteran meets colleague who ‘died’ 68 years ago!August 3rd, 2012 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 3 (IANS) An 87-year-old World War II veteran from Britain was shocked when he ran into a fellow soldier who he thought had died in battle 68 years ago.
Stan Hodge last saw Bert Haddrell - also 87 - in 1944 when they fought together in Normandy, France, The Sun reported.
Haddrell was blown up by a mortar bomb in a battle for Maltot village, and received such severe stomach injuries that Hodge thought he had died.
“One minute we were talking and the next he was blown up. All hell broke loose. Blokes disappeared all the time during the war, and I thought Bert was dead,” Hodge said.
But unknown to Hodge, the injured Haddrell was rescued by paramedics and taken to Scotland to recover.
The two soldiers, who served together in the 4th Battalion The Dorset Regiment, were reunited at the War and Peace show in Kent in July.
“I recognised his uniform and the thought came to me, ‘You look like Bert’, so I went up to him and asked,” Hodge said.
“I couldn’t believe it was him. Could you after 68 years? It was a moment of joy to see him again. We have made plans to stay in touch,” he said.
Haddrell said it was “absolutely wonderful” to have met his fellow soldier.
- 87 bombs found at British nudist beach - Oct 13, 2011
- Hitler had a love child, says war soldier's diary - Mar 15, 2012
- Medals of soldier who fled in nude from Colditz up for grabs - May 04, 2011
- First World War soldier identified by DNA laid to rest, 94 years on - Apr 22, 2010
- Rescued World War I tortoise needs new home - Aug 11, 2012
- 65th Anniversary of D-day - Jun 06, 2009
- British commandos wanted to abduct Rommel: War diary - Sep 23, 2011
- World War II Indian-RAF flying ace Squadron Leader Mahinder Singh Pujji dies - Sep 24, 2010
- 48 years after death, soldier's remains consigned to flames - Jul 15, 2010
- Mother recalls young lieutenant who'd win Param Vir Chakra in 1971 - Dec 16, 2010
- Jon Snow: Remembrance Sunday Ruckus! - Nov 06, 2010
- Disabled in car crash, Russian travels 11,000 km - Jun 08, 2011
- Identified by DNA, soldier laid to rest 94 years after death - Apr 22, 2010
- Nazi soldiers given highly addictive crystal meth to fight longer, harder - Mar 31, 2011
- Jon Snow Hits Out At Viewers In 'Poppy Fascism' Row - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: battalion, bert, blokes, bomb, colleague, dorset regiment, fellow soldier, mortar, normandy, normandy france, paramedics, scotland, stan, stomach, two soldiers, war and peace, war and peace show, war ii veteran, world war ii, ww ii