WTO chief criticises protectionismMarch 6th, 2009 - 11:49 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, March 6 (DPA) The director-general of the World Trade Organisation, Pascal Lamy, has rejected the “food miles” campaign of some European farmers who say consumers should buy local produce instead of imported foods, according to a news report Friday.
Their argument says buying food from countries like New Zealand is environmentally unfriendly because of the carbon emissions involved in transporting it to consumers over long distances.
But Lamy, who is visiting New Zealand, called it a protectionist campaign run by European producers and said cut flowers from Kenya or sheep meat from New Zealand sold in British shops had a lower carbon footprint than many similar items produced locally.
“If you look at the whole chain, in my view, the numbers show that it’s a campaign which is grounded on other intentions,” he told Radio New Zealand.
Lamy, a former European trade commissioner, also criticised the EU’s decision to reinstate export subsidies on dairy products, after scrapping them as it promised in negotiations under the stalled Doha Round of global trade liberalisation.
The EU was entitled to do it because the round has not been completed, but “it is still a negative development - it goes in the wrong direction”, he said.
- 'Time ripe to conclude WTO Doha Round talks' - Apr 28, 2011
- Whole package for Doha round will not be passed: WTO chief - Mar 19, 2012
- WTO will fight against protectionism: Lamy - Oct 18, 2011
- India must take lead to conclude global trade talks: Pascal Lamy - Sep 11, 2011
- Ministerial meet may push deadlocked WTO talks: Lamy - Sep 05, 2011
- India flexible for Doha trade deal - Oct 19, 2010
- WTO chief Lamy to visit India next week - Sep 02, 2011
- Doha Round's failure will weaken WTO, says Lamy - Nov 19, 2010
- G20 summit may bring Doha trade talks back on track - Oct 21, 2010
- Global trade to fall by 10 percent this year - Sep 30, 2009
- WTO Chief calls for international coordinated action for global financial recovery - Nov 20, 2010
- World going through stormy period: WTO chief Lamy - Sep 06, 2011
- Protectionism will worsen slowdown: Anand Sharma - Jun 26, 2009
- EU to charge green tax from airlines - Dec 22, 2011
- WTO Doha Round won't conclude before 2013: Khullar - Sep 23, 2011