Would-be suicide bomber surrenders in IraqAugust 25th, 2008 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Aug 25 (DPA) A female suicide bomber still wearing an explosives-laden vest turned herself over to police Sunday, the same day that 25 people were killed in a further suicide bombing, the US military said Monday.The military said the woman let herself be escorted away by the police in the city of Baquba, northeast of the capital Baghdad, and that she then led the officers to a 13-year-old girl who was also supposed to carry out a suicide attack.
Baquba is capital of the restive Diyala province, where the US Army has set up a separate female anti-terrorism unit in the battle to try to thwart suicide bomb attacks by women.
Meanwhile the death toll in Sunday’s suicide bombing west of Baghdad had risen to 25, Arab media reports said Monday. Initial reports had put the figure at 21 dead.
In addition, 30 people were wounded when the attacker detonated his explosives vest during a banquet thrown by a family celebrating a relative’s release from prison, a police source who spoke on condition of anonymity told Voices of Iraq (VOI) news agency.
The attack took place in the Abu Ghraib district, 30 km west of Baghdad.
- 11 soldiers killed in Iraq car bombing - Mar 14, 2011
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- 10 killed in Iraq bombing - Nov 03, 2011
- Three killed, nine injured in Iraq - Apr 30, 2012
- 6 killed in Iraq violence - Aug 25, 2012
- 43 killed in Iraq bomb blasts (Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- 30 wounded in Iraq bombings - Sep 09, 2012
- 2 killed, 16 injured in attacks in Iraq - Nov 13, 2011
- Iraq official survives bomb attack - Apr 22, 2012
- 10 killed, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Mar 03, 2010
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- 50 killed in Iraq blasts (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2010
- Two US soldiers among five killed in Iraq explosion - Jun 11, 2010
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- Islamist insurgent group claims killing 25 US soldiers - Jun 21, 2010