Worst weather in 40 years displaces 12,000 in ChileSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 4:39 am ICT by IANS
Santiago, Sep 3 (DPA) Over 12,000 people have been forced to leave their homes in southern Chile due to a chain of storms and heavy rain that is thought to be the worst in 40 years in the area.A further 10,000 people were left isolated in the Araucania Region alone. Of these, some 6,000 were in the area of Curarrehue, which remained out of bounds for police helicopters Tuesday due to difficult weather conditions.
“We cannot manage to assist everyone,” said Mauricio Salas, mayor of the affected town of Nueva Imperial.
About 2,000 homes suffered considerable damage in the regions of Maule and Araucania, respectively 400 and 900 km south of Santiago.
“The level of precipitation has been such that within four or five hours there were 60 to 70 mm of rain,” said National Emergency Office head Carmen Fernandez.
The official added that all rivers in the area experienced “some kind of overflow”.
So far, however, no one was reported dead and there were no major emergencies, while the Chilean Armed Forces prioritized rescue efforts in rural areas.
The rain was closing in on the Chilean capital, Santiago, home to some six million people.
- Chile quake toll rises to 82 - Feb 28, 2010
- Earthquake rocks Chile - Sep 10, 2010
- Tsunami hits Chile after 8.8-magnitude quake, toll 78(Fifth Lead) - Feb 27, 2010
- Chile mudslide leaves 3,000 stranded - May 31, 2012
- European tourists found alive in Chilean volcano - Apr 25, 2011
- Chile quake toll reaches 711, 90 aftershocks (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2010
- Chile officials to be charged for botched tsunami alert - Feb 11, 2012
- Chopper piloted by Chilean president makes emergency landing - Jan 24, 2011
- Militants burn down government chopper in Chile - Dec 31, 2011
- Chile quake toll rises to 708, emergency declared (Second Lead) - Mar 01, 2010
- Chile quake toll rises to 795 - Mar 03, 2010
- 7.2 quake hits Chile, no tsunami threat (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Hundreds evacuated in Chile forest fire - Jan 03, 2012
- Earthquake Of Magnitude 7.2 Hits Temuco, Chile - Jan 03, 2011
- Chilean Office of Emergency director steps down over earthquake-response criticism - Mar 11, 2010