Worried Maharashtra considers ban on MNSOctober 21st, 2008 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 21 (IANS) The Maharashtra government may consider recommending a ban on Raj Thackeray’s Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS), if needed, Deputy Chief Minister R.R. Patil said Tuesday evening, as violence, arson and rioting rocked most parts of the state.In an informal chat with reporters, Patil said MNS chief Raj Thackeray, arrested in the morning and likely to spend the night in police lock-up, would not be given a ‘political VIP status’.
He said the state government would compensate all those who were affected by MNS activists’ violence after the arrest and “recover” the costs from the party. However, Patil did not specify how the state government would recover the compensation amount from the political party.
In a related development, Mumbai Police Commissioner Hasan Gafoor said this evening that the city police will move the Vikhroli court Thursday against Thackeray on grounds that he violated the terms and conditions under which he was released from there in February.
The police would also seek cancellation of his bail, he said. This could pave the way for his re-arrest in the earlier case.
- Mumbai violence: Raj Thackeray demands Patil's resignation - Aug 17, 2012
- Raj Thackeray to take out march even if refused permission - Aug 20, 2012
- Maharashtra may review road toll policy - Aug 10, 2012
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Mumbai police chief transferred (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Thousands march in Mumbai to protest violence (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Mumbai cop offers rose to Raj Thackeray, attacks police chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Police allow Raj Thackeray to hold rally (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Raj Thackeray backs FDI in retail, demands jobs only for locals - Sep 18, 2012
- Speculation rife on Mumbai police commissioner's transfer - Aug 22, 2012
- Bangladeshi infiltrators behind Mumbai violence, says Raj Thackeray (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition slams government on Kripashankar - Mar 02, 2012
- Raj blames Bangladeshis for violence, wants Patil out (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- Mumbai Police gear up for MNS march - Aug 21, 2012