World’s largest nativity scene set up in Mexico CityDecember 9th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Dec 9 (IANS/EFE) Mexico City authorities have set up the Guinness-certified largest nativity scene in the world as part of their Christmas festivities.
The nativity scene, which cost $2 million to create, was unveiled Wednesday by capital Mayor Marcelo Ebrard in the parking lot of the giant Azteca stadium.
The scene, which covers 20,000 square meters and has 5,000 figures and 700 tonnes of infrastructure, is comprised of 57 smaller scenes that recall the biblical passages discussing the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem more than 2,000 years ago.
Organizers said that this nativity scene took 70 days to fashion and that task was performed by architects, engineers, designers and historians, among others.
They said that many of the pieces and figures - including camels, elephants, the Three Kings, an angel and some of the residents of Bethlehem - were crafted by Mexican artisans and many of them actually move.
The Mexico City government said in a communique that the scene has set two Guinness records, one for the largest nativity scene in the world and another for having the greatest number of figures for a scene of this type.
Organizers said they were sure that more than 1 million people will come to view the scene between now and Jan 15.
- Mexico City closes world's largest trash dump - Dec 20, 2011
- Britney Spears to give free concert in Mexico City - Dec 01, 2011
- Mexican presidential hopeful goes public with new romance - Aug 03, 2011
- Mexican city distributes masks for volcano ash - May 07, 2012
- Mexico sets record for largest folk dance performance - Sep 05, 2011
- Mexicans end holiday festivities with 10-tonne cake - Jan 06, 2012
- Actress sent to jail for Green Card marriage - Apr 27, 2011
- 10 die in attack on Mexican bar - Aug 15, 2012
- Mexico City erects world's largest Christmas tree - Dec 07, 2009
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- Mexico breaks record for most telescopes pointed at moon - Dec 05, 2011
- Baby put on sale online in Mexico - Feb 13, 2012
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- Brazil lights world's largest floating Christmas tree - Nov 28, 2011
- Earliest archaeological evidence of Christianity on view - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: azteca stadium, bethlehem, biblical passages, birth of jesus, camels, christmas festivities, city authorities, city government, efe, elephants, guinness records, historians, marcelo ebrard, mexican artisans, mexico city, nativity scene, organizers, square meters, three kings, tonnes