World Super Bike: Rea hopes to make a podium finish in MonzaMay 2nd, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Monza (Italy), May 2 (IANS) Honda World Superbike Team’s Jonathan Rea is geared up to make a podium finish for the first time in Monza during the weekend race.
Despite winning nine races and making 24 podium finishes in his Super Bike career so far, the 25-year-old Rea has never made a podium finish in the Super Bike class at Monza.
The rider from Northern Island hopes to change that statistic this coming weekend, after his first win of the season in Assen, the Netherlands, last weekend.
Rea may have to rely on the sheer top speed of his machine to ensure he arrives at Monza able to stay with the fastest machines of his competitors.
“I’m heading to Monza with confidence after Assen, but that chapter is closed now and a new one will open this weekend. It’s a unique race, which has developed into a bit of a horsepower battle between manufacturers, but I’ve been involved in a couple of first turn crashes in the last two years - it’s always difficult funnelling everyone into that tight chicane at the end of the straight,” said Rea.
“We’ve moved into a new area with the bike now and we’ve been working on a different set-up with a clear development route. I hope we’ll be able to take advantage of that at Monza, which requires stability, especially under braking, and that’s something we’ve suffered with in the past. I’m really looking forward to being back in Italy - I love racing there and the Italian fans have such a passion, which is very contagious,” he said.
- Kawaski rope in Gadea as replacement for Lascorz - May 04, 2012
- Motorsports: Sharath scripts history for Mahindra Racing - Apr 30, 2012
- Chandhok set for Le Mans debut - Jun 14, 2012
- Sykes wins first round of Superbike in Moscow - Aug 26, 2012
- Melandri wins in Russia to take Superbike Championship (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- Bhopal's superbike craze in top gear (Feature) - Sep 21, 2011
- Italian GP: Di Resta's 8th place puts Force India ahead of Sauber - Sep 11, 2011
- At risk: Delhi bikers with need for speed (Feature) - Sep 27, 2011
- Ferrari's Alonso wins Italian GP - Sep 13, 2010
- Mahindra Racing triumphs in Italian Championship - Mar 26, 2012
- Mahindra's Moretti wins second race of Italian Championships - Apr 09, 2012
- Armaan set for fresh Formula 2 season - Apr 14, 2011
- Force India optimistic about chances in Hungarian GP - Jul 24, 2012
- Podium not in sight of Force India, says di Resta - Sep 06, 2012
- Buddh Circuit to host Superbike World Championship in 2013 - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: bike class, chicane, confidence, crashes, honda, honda world, horsepower, italian fans, jonathan, monza italy, netherlands, passion, podium, rea, statistic, superbike team, top speed, world super bike, world superbike