World Space Week to be observed from TuesdayOctober 3rd, 2011 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 3 (IANS) The World Space Week (WSW), an annual event that aims to sensitise masses towards space science, will be observed Oct 4-10, an NGO organising the event said Monday.
“WSW is the largest annual public space event on earth and its objective is to sensitise people towards space science and instil a basic level of awareness among the masses,” said an official of Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE).
The theme this year is ‘50 Years of Human Spaceflight’ which will celebrate the beginning of space exploration, according to SPACE.
“We have planned a whole gamut of activities for school kids and general public, including solar observations, Jantar Mantar visits, space fairs and other astronomical activities,” the official said.
A movie about Sputnik would be showcased Oct 5 to commemorate the historic launch of the first satellite, besides a skywatch would be conducted Oct 8.
Painting competitions, quizzes, slogan writing, film shows on space travel and astronomy are also planned. Each event will be registered on the WSW website and all the participating entries would be submitted to UNESCO.
- Week-long activities to mark World Space Week - Oct 02, 2010
- World Space Week begins with 'Sputnik' - Oct 04, 2010
- Delhi schoolkids observe autumn equinox - Sep 23, 2011
- Spotlight on Delhi's Jantar Mantar to make astronomy popular - Oct 01, 2010
- Heritage Walk organized to celebrate National Science Day - Feb 28, 2012
- Earth's circumference to be measured at Jantar Mantar - Jun 20, 2012
- Year's shortest day Wednesday - Dec 21, 2010
- Students measure Earth's circumference on longest summer day - Jun 22, 2012
- Watch autumn equinox at Jantar Mantar Thursday - Sep 21, 2011
- Jantar Mantar in Jaipur makes entry into UNESCO list - Aug 04, 2010
- Jantar Mantar at centre of Jaipur tourism (With Image) - Mar 25, 2011
- Day and night to be equal Thursday - Sep 22, 2010
- 100 hours to celebrate astronomy year in Jantar Mantar - Apr 04, 2009
- Sky gazers gear up for Messier marathon - Mar 11, 2010
- Day, night to be equal Monday - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: astronomical activities, beginning of space exploration, communicators, gamut, human spaceflight, launch, level of awareness, oct 5, public space, school kids, science popularisation, skywatch, slogan writing, solar observations, space event, space science, space travel, sputnik, world space, wsw