World leaders congratulate HollandeMay 7th, 2012 - 7:05 am ICT by IANS
Paris, May 7 (IANS) World leaders including US president Barack Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and British Prime Minister David Cameron Sunday night congratulated Francois Hollande on his victory in the French presidential elections.
In a phone call made to Hollande after the results were announced, Obama said he looked forward to working closely with the French president-elect and his government on a range of shared economic and security challenges.
“President Obama noted that he will welcome President-elect Hollande to Camp David for the G8 Summit and to Chicago for the NATO Summit later this month, and proposed that they meet beforehand at the White House,” Xinhua quoted the White House as saying in a statement.
Obama and Hollande each reaffirmed the important and enduring alliance between the people of the two countries, the statement said.
Merkel extended an invitation to Hollande in a phone call Sunday night to visit Berlin as soon as he formally takes office in mid May, said Steffen Seibert, spokesman at the German chancellor’s office.
German President Joachim Gauck also wished Hollande “good luck” for his five-year term for the service of France and Europe, a presidential spokesman said.
Cameron and Belgian Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo also extended their congratulations to Hollande, while vowing to work for a close partnership in the future.
Calling Hollande’s election a “historic event”, German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle said both sides should keep on cooperating closely in implementing the European Union’s policies and coping with the common challenge.
- Iran's 'no' delays Merkel trip to India (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Joachim Gauck elected German president - Mar 18, 2012
- US, France, Britain, Germany discuss Libya - Mar 29, 2011
- Germany calls for new sanctions against Iran - Nov 10, 2011
- Did Iran deny passage to Merkel's plane? - May 31, 2011
- Putin tests every meal before eating: Former chef - Jul 25, 2012
- Hollande vows to bring change - May 07, 2012
- Obama calls Putin - Mar 10, 2012
- Tibetan parliament congratulates France, Russia - May 09, 2012
- Francois Hollande sworn in as French president - May 15, 2012
- World leaders pay tribute to Merkel's election win (Second Lead) - Sep 28, 2009
- Iran's no delays Merkel's India-bound plane, Germany upset (Second Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 01, 2011
- G8 summit opens in US - May 19, 2012
- PM to attend key summits in Mexico, Brazil - Jun 15, 2012
- German Foreign Minister Westerwelle steps down as German Vice Chancellor - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: angela merkel, barack obama, belgian prime minister, british prime minister, camp david, chancellor angela merkel, david cameron, elio di rupo, francois hollande, french president elect, french presidential elections, g8 summit, german chancellor angela merkel, german president, guido westerwelle, joachim gauck, minister david, nato summit, presidential spokesman, security challenges